Subaru WRX STI and WRX S4 Reviews
The WRX STI is a legendary performance car that was part of the Impreza lineup until 2014 when it was spun off as an independent model. The WRX STI has been in continuous production for many years and has won numerous rally championships. It’s one of the most popular performance cars in Kenya together with the equally capable Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.
The 4th Generation WRX STI(2014 – 2020) is based on the 4th generation Impreza platform that is also shared with the Levorg. The version that is sold in the Japanese Domestic Market(JDM) comes with a turbocharged 2.0-Litre FA20 engine and is known as the WRX S4. The international version comes with a turbocharged 2.0-Litre EJ20 engine and is known as the WRX STI. The 2.5L AVCS turbo EJ25 engine that was installed in the previous model was continued for the North America and Australian markets.
Compared to its predecessor, the 4th WRX STI/S4 is given extra improvements such as 40% more torsion rigidity, 30% more bending rigidity, 14% more front tread rigidity and 38% more rear tread rigidity. The 4th generation WRX STI and WRX S4 are among the most sort after performance cars globally.
WRX S4 and WRX STI Differences
- The WRX S4 is sold exclusively in Japan (JDM)while the WRX STI is sold in other markets
- The WRX S4 uses a 2.0L FA20 engine while the WRX STI uses a 2.0L EJ20 engine
- The WRX STI is more powerful (WRX STI 227kW and WRX S4 221kW)
- The WRX S4 employs a sports Lineartronic transmission with manual mode while the WRX STI employs a 6-Speed Manual Transmission
- The WRX S4 is heavier ( WRX S4 1560kg and WRX STI 1510kg)
- The 4WD system is different; the STI uses a DCCD with a front helical LSD and a rear Torsen LSD. While the S4 uses a system called VTD-AWD(unequal and variable torque distribution electronic control AWD)
- The S4 uses electric power steering while the STI uses hydraulic power steering.
Subaru WRX STI and WRX S4 Prices in Kenya: Subaru XV Price and Cars for Sale in Kenya