The Mercedes SLK is a 2-seater luxury convertible sports car that was in production from 1996 to 2020. It was renamed to the SLC Class in 2016 when the new Mercedes naming system was adopted. It’s known as a roadster in which loosely translates to a two seater convertible car. The SLK is one of the few sports 2-seater sports cars that have made an entry in Kenya which is a market that is largely dominated by 5-seater family cars. It’s ideal for people looking for a weekend getaway car that can be driven with the roof down to fully enjoy the breeze of the countryside. It competes with the Mazda RX8, Subaru BRZ, Toyota 86 and Mazda Roadster RF.
Mercedes SLK Class Generations
- First Generation Mercedes SLK R170 – 1996 to 2004
- Second Generation Mercedes SLK R171 – 2004 to 2010
- Third Generations Mercedes SLK R172 – 2011 to 2020
Mercedes SLK Class Engine and Transmission Options
The third generation SLK (2011-2020)comes with the following engines;
- A 1.8-Litre Petrol engine – in the SLK 200 BlueEFFICIENCY and SLK250 BlueEFFICIENCY
- A 2.0-Litre Petrol engine – in the SLC 200 and SLC 300
- A 3.0-Litre Petrol engine – in the SLC 43 AMG
- A 3.5-Litre Petrol engine – in the SLK 350
- A 5.5-Litre Petrol engine – in the SLK 55 AMG
- A 2.2-Litre Diesel engine – in the SLK 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY
These are linked to either of these transmissions;
- A 6-Speed manual transmission
- A 7-Speed 7G-Tronic automatic transmission
- A 9-Speed 9G-Tronic automatic transmission
Mercedes SLK Interior
The SLK is a 2-Seater car with plenty of space for both driver and passenger. It comes with either hardtop roof or a fabric roof which depending on choice will affect cabin noise. The hardtop is more quieter but it eats up into boot space than the soft top. The legroom and space is the best you can get and the driver and passenger are afforded with excellent space.
Mercedes SLK Exterior
The SLK has the looks of a proper sports car seating low on the road to maximize stability and a streamlined aerodynamic form. At the front, it comes with angular headlights that are accentuated with the narrow grille that is emblazoned with the Mercedes logo at the centre. The rear is short and finished with dual exhausts.
Mercedes SLK Maintenance Costs in Kenya
Mercedes SLK service parts are available in Kenya but they are somewhat expensive depending on the engine choice. Body parts are also expensive and sometimes not easy to find. You can get listings for Mercedes Benz spare part dealers in this link
Mercedes SLK Reliability
The SLK is good when new but tends to develop problems with age. Maintenance plays a huge role in this as some owners are known to skip it due to its heavy price. If you’re buying a used one, ensure that it’s properly inspected by a qualified technician.
Mercedes SLK Alternatives you can buy in Kenya: Mazda RX8, Subaru BRZ, Toyota 86 and Mazda Roadster RF.
Mercedes SLK Price in Kenya: https://cars.topcar.co.ke/vehicles/mercedes-benz/slk
Import the Mercedes SLK in Kenya: https://topcar.co.ke/import-your-car/
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.