The Nissan Wingroad shares the same platform with the Nissan AD Van which is the economy focused variant. It was in production for three generations from 1996 to 2018 when its production ended. The first generation known as the Y10 was in production from 1996 to 1999. The second generation known as the Y11 was in production from 1999 to 2005 and the third generation known as the Y12 was in production from 2005 to 2018.
The 2012 Nissan Wingroad is offered with 2 engine options; a 1.5 Litre HR15DE engine and a 1.8 Litre MR18DE engine that are linked to either a 4-speed E-ATx transmission or an Xtronic CVT transmission and an optional 6-Speed CVT with manual mode(Xtronic CVT-M6). Its available in both 2WD and 4WD (Motor assisted e.4WD)
2012 Nissan Wingroad Grades
- Nissan Wingroad 15B – This is the base grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, E-ATx transmission, 15-Inch steel rims, 2WD, CD/Radio player and Halogen Headlights
- Nissan Wingroad 15M Authentic – This is a mid level grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, Xtronic CVT transmission, 16-Inch steel rims, 2WD, CD/Radio player and Halogen Headlights
- Nissan Wingroad 18G Authentic – This is a mid level grade that comes with the 1.8L engine, Xtronic CVT-M6 transmission, 16-Inch steel rims, 2WD, CD/Radio player and Halogen Headlights
- Nissan Wingroad 15B FOUR – This grade comes with the 1.5L engine, E-ATx transmission, 4WD, 15-Inch steel rims, 2WD, CD/Radio player and Halogen Headlights
- Nissan Wingroad 15M FOUR – This grade comes with the 1.5L engine, E-ATx transmission, 4WD, 16-Inch steel rims, 2WD, CD/Radio player and Halogen Headlights
- Nissan Wingroad 15S – This is an AERO grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, E-ATx transmission, 16-Inch alloy rims, 2WD, DVD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights and AERO body kit.
- Nissan Wingroad 15M – This is an AERO grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, Xtronic CVT transmission, 16-Inch alloy rims, 2WD, DVD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights and AERO body kit.
- Nissan Wingroad 15M V Limited – This is an AERO grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, Xtronic CVT transmission, 16-Inch alloy rims, 2WD, DVD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights, AERO body kit and fog lights
- Nissan Wingroad 18G – This is a sports AERO grade that comes with the 1.8L engine, Xtronic CVT-M6 transmission, 17-Inch ally rims, 2WD, DVD/Radio player, xenon Headlights, AERO body kit and fog lights
- Nissan Wingroad 15S Four – This is an AERO grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, E-ATx transmission, 17-Inch alloy rims, 4WD, DVD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights, AERO body kit and fog lights
- Nissan Wingroad 15M Four – This is a luxury AERO grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, E-ATx transmission, 17-Inch alloy rims, 4WD, DVD/Radio player, xenon Headlights, AERO body kit and fog lights
Legroom & Space
The Nissan Wingroad is a sufficiently spaced car with a roomy cabin that feels comfortable to sit in. On the first row the legroom is good and the driver’s seat can adjust far back to accommodate a tall driver. On the second row, the legroom is similarly decent and passengers will find it comfortable. The seats are somehow hard and noticeably so at long distance.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 2 cup-holders, door panel storage with bottle-holders, a console box and glovebox. For the second row, there are 2 cup-holders in the armrest compartment and front seat jacket pockets on the higher grades.
2012 Nissan Wingroad Boot Space
The boot is large enough to carry luggage for a family of five with extra space to spare. With the second row seats folded down, the boot space is equivalent to that of a small cargo van.
Other Extras: Navigation, Alloy Rims, Fog Lights
Safety Features: SRS Airbags, ABS, EBD, 3 Point seat belts with ELR, dynamic stability control(DSC)
The Nissan Wingroad has pretty much remained the same since 2005 with only a few modifications to the grille and the headlights. The exterior design is unremarkable and basic with only higher grades equipped with fog lights and alloy rims.
2012 Nissan Wingroad Fuel Consumption
2012 Nissan Wingroad 1.5L fuel consumption: 17.2 Km/L
2012 Nissan Wingroad 1.8L fuel consumption: 14.0 Km/L
2012 Nissan Wingroad Acceleration
2012 Nissan Wingroad 1.5L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.5 sec.
2012 Nissan Wingroad 1.8L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 12.5 sec.
2012 Nissan Wingroad Fuel Tank Capacity: 45Litres
2012 Nissan Wingroad Ground Clearance
The 2012 Nissan Wingroad has a ground clearance of 6.2 Inches(160mm) which is below the minimum recommended clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads. It is necessary to modify the ground clearance to adjust the car to Kenyan roads. Read our guidelines here on how to safely increase a vehicle’s ground clearance.
2012 Nissan Wingroad Stability and Handling
The Nissan Wingroad is a subdued car with no propensity for exhilarating performance or speed. The 1.5L engine takes longer to accelerate and labours hard when climbing steep hills under full load. The 1.8L is considerably spry and does not feel as underpowered as the 1.5L and is the better balanced car overall.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts for the Nissan Wingroad are affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts, mechanical parts and sensors are fairly priced and well stocked by Nissan spare part dealers in Nairobi and other towns. You can get listings for these shops in this link.
2012 Nissan Wingroad Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
For some, the Nissan Wingroad is a less than reliable car and cannot hold a candle to the Toyotas such as the Fielder. Yet for some, the Nissan Wingroad is the perfect economy car that performs as good if not better. We spent a considerable amount of time interviewing mechanics and owners to tease out the facts. Overall, we found that the Nissan Wingroad is as reliable as you maintain it and performs better in terms of fuel consumption and interior space. The one recurrent issue reported with this car is the body construction which tends to rattle over time especially if the car is driven on bumpy roads. Engine and gearbox problems have also been reported which are largely attributed to poor maintenance. We always advice owners to thoroughly read the Manual as it contains vital information on how the car should be maintained. To download the 2012 Nissan Wingroad Owner’s Manual, click here.
Resale Value: Average
Nissan Wingroad Competitors: Toyota Fielder, Toyota Probox, Toyota Succeed.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: Starting from Ksh.950,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 38,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 28,000/- for 4 Tyres
NB: figures as at May 2019
What we like about the 2012 Nissan Wingroad
1. Spacious interior
2. Good Fuel Economy
What we don’t
1. Hard seats
2. Easily loses traction on slippery roads
Nissan Wingroad is a cheaper alternative to the ever pricey Toyota Fielder and it performs considerably well for the price. It is also much more spacious and returns better fuel economy making it ideal for people on a tight budget
Where to Buy the 2012 Nissan Wingroad in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Nissan Wingroad locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In