2012 Toyota Previa Review directs here
The Toyota Estima has been in production for three generations starting from 1990 to present. The first generation known as the TCR was in production from 1990 to 2000. The second generation known as the ACR/MCR/AHR was in production from 2000 to 2006 and the third generation known as the ACR/GSR has been in production from 2006 to present.
The 2012 Toyota Estima is offered with 2 engine options; these are the 2.4 Litre 2AZ-FE engine and the 3.5 Litre 2GR-FE engine, available in both normal and hybrid versions. These are linked to either a 6-speed automatic, a 7-speed Super CVT-I or a CVT Automatic and available in both 2WD and 4WD.
2012 Toyota Estima Grades
- Toyota Estima X – This is an entry level grade that comes with the 2.4L engine, 16-Inch steel rims, 8 Seater, Smart Start, Automatic AC, and CD/Radio Player, manually adjustable driver’s seats, halogen headlamps with manual levelling, analog speedometer, plain steering wheel. Its available in both 2WD and 4WD.
- Toyota Estima G – This is a mid level grade that comes with either the 2.4L or 3.4L engine, 17-Inch alloy rims, 7/8 Seater, Smart Start, Automatic AC, and DVD/Radio Player, electrically adjustable driver’s seats, xenon headlamps with automatic levelling, digital speedometer, multifunction steering wheel. Its available in both 2WD and 4WD.
- Toyota Estima AERAS – This is a luxury level grade that comes with either the 2.4L or 3.4L engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, 7/8 Seater, Smart Start, Automatic AC, and DVD/Radio Player, electrically adjustable driver’s seats, xenon headlamps with automatic levelling, digital speedometer, multifunction steering wheel, body kit. Its available in both 2WD and 4WD.
- Toyota Estima AERAS Leather Package – This is a luxury level grade that comes with either the 2.4L or 3.4L engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, 7 Seater, Smart Start, Automatic AC, and DVD/Radio Player, electrically adjustable driver’s seats, xenon headlamps with automatic levelling, digital speedometer, multifunction steering wheel, body kit, leather seats, lumbar support. Its available in both 2WD and 4WD.
- Toyota Estima Hybrid AERAS – This is an hybrid version of the AERAS grade that is only available with the 2.4L hybrid engine
Legroom & Space
The Toyota Estima has got a first class cabin that is spacious, comfortable and well insulated from road noise allowing for normal conversations at higher speeds. The legroom is excellent on all three rows and comfortably accommodate tall people. Higher grades come with luxurious seats that have leg support(ottoman) and can lie flat.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage and glovebox. At the second row, there are 2 cupholders. At the third row, there are 4 cupholders and storage on the side pockets.
2012 Toyota Estima Boot Space
With all the three rows in use, the boot space is somewhat small and cannot carry any meaningful luggage. With the third row seats folded up, the boot space is really big. Additionally, the second row seats can be slid forward to create an even bigger boot space.
Other Extras: Electric Tailgate, all auto windows, Alpine TV Screen, Navigation
Safety Features: SRS Airbags, Curtain Airbags, Side Airbags, ABS, EBD, Steering assisted Vehicle Stability Control(S-VSC), Electric Power Steering(EPS), Tration Control(TRC),Adaptive Front-Lighting System(AFS) 3 Point seat belts with ELR
The Toyota Estima has a well designed exterior with smooth edges and somewhat looks like a bigger version of the Toyota wish. Higher grades come with 18-Inch alloy rims and fog lights.
2012 Toyota Estima Fuel Consumption
2012 Toyota Estima 2.4L fuel consumption: 11.6 Km/L
2012 Toyota Estima 2.4L Hybrid fuel consumption: 18.0 Km/L
2012 Toyota Estima 3.5L fuel consumption: 9.7 Km/L
2012 Toyota Estima Acceleration
2012 Toyota Estima 2.4L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 11.2 sec.
2012 Toyota Estima 2.4L Hybrid accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 10.5 sec.
2012 Toyota Estima 3.5L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 8.0 sec.
2012 Toyota Estima Fuel Tank Capacity: 65 Litres
2012 Toyota Estima Ground Clearance
The 2012 Toyota Estima has a ground clearance of 6.2 Inches(160mm), which is shy of the minimum recommended clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads and it may be necessary to make some height adjustment to avoid scrapping speed bumps. Read our guidelines here on how to safely increase a vehicle’s ground clearance.
2012 Toyota Estima Stability and Handling
The aerodynamic body translates to better stability at high speed and a reduction in cabin noise. The Estima handles the corners very well and the steering is responsive. The 2.4L is adequately powered, although not as quick and nimble as the 3.4L.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
As is a common practice with Toyota, most parts are widely shared with other Toyotas. Mechanical parts and service parts are easily available in major towns in Kenya. Body parts are easy to find in Nairobi but can be difficult to find in other towns. Most spare shops in Industrial Area and Kirinyaga Road stock these parts. You can get listings for these shops In this link
2012 Toyota Estima Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
The Estima is a fairly complex car with lots of sensors and thus requires extra care especially in maintenance. The 2.4L 2AZ-FE and 2AZ-FXE engines are particularly sensitive to bad maintenance and will develop problems if not properly maintained. The hybrid systems are generally reliable at low mileage but tend to develop problems as the mileage increases. It is important to carefully read the owner’s manual if you are planning to own the Toyota Estima.
To download the 2012 Toyota Estima Owner’s Manual, click here.
Resale Value: Average
Toyota Estima Competitors: Toyota Alphard, Toyota Vellfire, Nissan Elgrand, Mitsubishi Delica D:5
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: Starting from Ksh.1,300,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 52,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 32,000/- for 4 Tyres
NB: figures as at May 2019
What we like about the 2012 Toyota Estima
1. Spacious cabin
2. Lie flat seats
What we don’t
Low ground clearance
There are very few vans in the market today that can match the luxury and comfort of the Toyota Estima . Whether you are buying for your family or for business, you will not be disappointed with this car. Your passengers will be treated to a spacious cabin that is comparable to first class . The low ground clearance is an issue you will have to deal with and you will have to be selective on the roads you drive on. Besides this, everything else is the Toyota Estima is a limousine fit for loyalty
Where to Buy the 2012 Toyota Estima in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Toyota Estima locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In