This is a minor update to the 2012 Mitsubishi Delica D5 Review. Changes include the introduction of the Clean Diesel engine.
The Mitsubishi Delica D:5 is an 8-seater minivan that has been in production from 2007 to present. It’s built on the GS platform that is shared with the Mitsubishi Outlander, RVR and Eclipse Cross. It boasts of SUV grade capabilities and is touted as the world’s premier SUV minivan. It was initially available as a 4WD only until later in 2007 when 2WD options were added to the lineup.
The 2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 comes with 3 engine options, these are the 2.0 Litre MIVEC SOHC petrol engine, the 2.4 Litre MIVEC DOHC petrol engine and 2.2 Litre 4N14 DID turbo diesel engine . The petrol engines are linked to an INVECS-III CVT and available in both 2Wd and 4WD, while the diesel engine is linked to INVECS II 6-Speed sport mode automatic transmission and available only in 4WD.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Grades
- Delica D:5 M – This is the base grade that comes with either the 2.0L or the 2.4L engine, 2WD or 4WD, 16-Inch steel rims, key Start, DVD/Radio player and 8 seater.
- Delica D:5 G Power Package – This grade comes with either the 2.0L or the 2.4L engine, 2WD or 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, key Start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater and 6-speed sports-shift
- Delica D:5 G CHAMONIX Power Package – This grade comes with either the 2.0L or the 2.4L engine, 2WD or 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, key Start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater, 6-speed sports-shift and Chamonix graphics.
- Delica D:5 ROADEST G Power Package – This grade comes with either the 2.0L or the 2.4L engine, 2WD or 4WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, smart Start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater and 6-speed sports-shift
- Delica D:5 G Premium – This is a luxury grade that comes with only the 2.4L engine, 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, smart start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater, 6-speed sports-shift and luxury seats.
- Delica D:5 ROADEST G Premium – This is a luxury grade that comes with only the 2.4L engine, 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, smart start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater, 6-speed sports-shift, luxury seats, and optional sunroofs.
- Delica D:5 D Power Package – This grade comes with either the 2.2L diesel engine, 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, key Start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater and 6-speed sports-shift
- Delica D:5 D Premium – This is a luxury grade that comes with the 2.2 diesel engine, 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, smart start, DVD/Radio player, 7/8 seater, 6-speed sports-shift, luxury seats, and optional sunroofs.
Legroom & Space
The Mitsubishi Delica D:5 is a comfortable and spacious van that can seat 8 passengers in a three row configuration. At the first row, there’s enough legroom for both the driver and passenger with elevated seats that provide for an excellent view of the road. At the second and third rows, the legroom is similarly good with seats that can be adjusted to fit a desired position. The dual electric doors that can be controlled by the driver make it easy for passengers to embark and disembark.
There are several storage compartments all over the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage , a storage shelf below the dashboard, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, there’s storage on the front seat jacket pockets and door pockets. For the third row, there’s storage on the seat jacket pockets and side pockets.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Boot Space
The D:5 is a versatile car that can be configured to suit different needs such as carrying people, cargo or both. In the 7/8 seater configuration when all the three rows are in use, the boot space is small and can only carry small luggage. In the 5 seater configuration with the third row seats folded, the boot space is quite big and can carry sizable cargo. In the 2 seater configuration when both the second and third row seats are folded, its transformed into a formidable cargo van.
Other Extras: Paddle shifts, three part Sunroof, AC Power socket, Electric Tailgate
Safety Features: Dual stage SRS Airbags, Curtain airbags, Knee Airbags, ABS, Active Stability Control
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D5 Exterior
Historically, the Delica D5 has straddled the line between SUV and minivan with great success. It combines all the desirable features of both worlds into an exciting package that is unmatched by any of its competitors. The union between SUV and minivan is best displayed by the exterior that is tall, long and boxy in an appealing way. The 18-Inch alloy wheels give it a respectable look that best accentuates its SUV traits.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Fuel Consumption
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 2.0L petrol fuel consumption: 15.0 km/L
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 2.4L petrol fuel consumption: 11.2 km/L
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 2.2L turbo diesel fuel consumption: 13.6 km/L
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Acceleration
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 2.0L petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.0 sec.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 2.4L petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 10.5 sec.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 2.2L turbo diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.2 sec.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Fuel Tank Capacity: 66 Litres
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Ground Clearance
The 2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 has a ground clearance of 7.5 Inches(190mm) which is ideal for driving in Kenya and is way above the minimum recommended clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads.
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Stability and Handling
The driving characteristics of the D:5 closely mirror those of the Outlander with variations to steering and turning angles. The D:5 feels stable on the road and inspires confidence even at higher speeds. Compared to the Noah and Voxy, it feels much more solid to drive with a well engineered suspension that provides for a comfortable ride.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Diesel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Mitsubishi Delica Maintenance Costs: Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts are expensive for now and not as easily available. In Nairobi, most spare shops in Industrial Area and Kirinyaga Road stock the service parts. You can get listings for these shops in this link
2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Reliability
The Mitsubishi Delica has historically been a reliable car and has avoided the reliability issues that dogged other Mitsubishis. The D:5 has been around since 2007 and, there have been very few issues reported in that period. Transmission failure has been reported and owners are cautioned against buying poorly maintained cars. We always advise that you thoroughly read the Owner’s Manual as it contains vital information on how the car should be maintained. To request the 2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Owner’s Manual, write to [email protected]
Resale Value: Average
Mitsubishi Delica D:5 Competitors: Toyota Noah, Toyota Voxy, Nissan Serena, Honda StepWagon and Mazda Biante.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh.1,200,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 48,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 40,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest Mitsubishi Delica D5 Prices here
What we like about the 2013 Mitsubishi Delica D:5
- Great family car
- Off-road capability
- Good ground clearance
What we don’t
- Expensive body parts
The Mitsubishi Delica D:5 is one of the few cars in the market whose true credentials are understated. When stacked up against its competitors, it offers so many compelling features such as the 8-Seater capacity, good ground clearance and off-road capability that makes it a clear winner in its category. The addition of the turbo diesel engine to the lineup gives it more power and torque to make it a legitimate 4×4.
Where to Buy the 2013 Mitsubishi Delica D5 in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Delica D5 locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import This Car
Send Us an Email