The Mitsubishi Outlander is a medium sized SUV manufactured in Japan since 2001. The first generation was sold as Airtrek in Japan and Outlander in other markets. Production of the Airtrek ceased in 2008 and the name was dropped entirely. The third generation was launched in 2012 with a new hybrid known as the Outlander PHEV injected into the lineup. The PHEV is a radically different SUV with plug-in capability and most Kenyan buyers are interested in its long-term suitability to this market. More details on the Outlander PHEV here
The 4WD non-hybrid models are powered by a 2.4-Litre 4J12 MIVEC petrol engine and the 2WD models are powered by a 2.0-Litre 4J11 MIVEC petrol engine that are linked to a 6-Speed INVECS-III CVT transmission. The 4WD modes are electronically controlled allowing the driver to select between three modes; 4WD ECO, 4WD AUTO and 4WD LOCK. The 4WD ECO mode automatically switches between 2WD and 4WD to match road surface and driving conditions. The 4WD Outlander is a capable off-road vehicle with a drivetrain that borrows heavily from the successful Pajero platform.
The Outlander PHEV is powered by a 2.0-Litre 4B11 petrol engine that is coupled with a plug-in hybrid EV system that comes with 5 components, these are; a drive battery, 2 electric motors, the 2.0L engine, a generator and a transaxle. The PHEV is available in full time 4WD.
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Grades
- Mitsubishi Outlander 20G – This is the base grade that comes with the 2.0L engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), fully automatic climate control, 2WD, 7 airbags, 7 seats and Active Stability Control.
- Mitsubishi Outlander 24G – This grade comes with the 2.4L engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 7 seats and Active Stability Control.
- Mitsubishi Outlander 24G Safety Package – This grade comes with the 2.4L engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 7 seats, Active Stability Control and e-Assist.
- Mitsubishi Outlander 24G Navi Package – This grade comes with the 2.4L engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 7 seats, Active Stability Control, e-Assist, power tailgate, Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System(MMCS) with a high-definition 7-inch display
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV E – This is a made-to-order hybrid grade. Buyers have the option to select the equipment they want.
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV G – This is the base hybrid grade that comes with Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), 18-Inch alloy rims, fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 5 seats and Active Stability Control.
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV G Safety Package – This is a hybrid grade that comes with Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), 18-Inch alloy rims, fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 5 seats and Active Stability Control and e-Assist.
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV G Navi Package – This is a hybrid grade that comes with Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), 18-Inch alloy rims, fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 5 seats and Active Stability Control, e-Assist and Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System(MMCS) with a high-definition 7-inch display
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV G Premium Package – This is a luxury hybrid grade that comes with Auto Stop & Go (AS&G), 18-Inch alloy rims, fully automatic climate control, 4WD, 7 airbags, 5 seats and Active Stability Control, e-Assist, Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System(MMCS) with a high-definition 7-inch display, Rockford Forsgate sound system and genuine leather.
Legroom & Space
The interior is composed of a black color theme with a quality feel to it and an array of modern instruments. In the standard grades, the seats are upholstered with soft fabric and are available with options such as wood grain finish, a power glass sunroof and leather seats. All grades come with high-contrast gauge meters and a high-definition LCD multi information display.
The driver’s seat has power adjustment and both driver and front passenger seats are heated. At the first row quarters, the legroom is excellent with enough space to stretch and recline. The second row seats feature a new slide travel of 250mm providing more configurable legroom. The third row seat is wider and offers more legroom and comfort than its predecessor thanks to a width increase of 120mm.
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander has many clever storage compartments. These are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. For the 1st row, there 4 cup-holders, door panel storage , a storage shelf below the dashboard, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, the only storage is on the front seat jacket pockets. For the third row, there is one pocket compartment on the left side.
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Boot Space
The 2013 Outlander’s interior space is highly configurable for both passenger and luggage requirements. The 60/40 split second row seats come with a new double action folding mechanism that allows the user to move and fold the seats with ease. The third row seats now use a 50/50 split design and a one touch-tilt down mechanism that allows the seats to be lowered in a simple step. These changes give the luggage compartment a length of 1685mm which is 335mm longer than its predecessor.
Extras: Sunroof, Roof Rails
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Safety Features: 7 SRS airbags, Forward Collision Mitigation System(FCM), Lane Departure Warning System(LDW), Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC)
The exterior design gives the new Outlander a refined look while keeping the body size virtually the same as its predecessor. The headlights and taillights have been upgraded to LEDs and the body contours have been refined to reduce drag and wind noise.
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Fuel Consumption
2013 Outlander 2.0L Fuel Consumption: 15.2 Km/L
2013 Outlander 2.4L Fuel Consumption: 14.4 Km/L
2013 Outlander PHEV fuel Consumption: 18.6 KM/L(Hybrid Mode only). See more details in the Outlander PHEV section
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Acceleration
2013 Outlander 2.0L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 11.6 sec.
2013 Outlander 2.4L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.8 sec.
2013 Outlander PHEV accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.8 sec.
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Fuel Tank Capacity: 60 Litres
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Ground Clearance
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander has a ground clearance of 8.5 Inches(216mm) which is sufficient for off-road driving.
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Stability and Handling
The Outlander has good stability and it feels reassuringly composed when driving around sharp bends. The 2.0L engine feels slightly underpowered especially when coming off a standstill and it takes long to accelerate.
Service and Maintenance Costs
Minor Service: At 10,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 15,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Mitsubishi Outlander spares especially body parts are not as easily available in Kenya and they are sometimes expensive. Service parts are fairly affordable and easy to find within Nairobi and other major towns. You can get the listings for Mitsubishi Spare Part Sellers in this link
2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
The Mitsubishi Outlander is not new to this market and it has proven itself over time. The engines remain the same with improvements to fuel efficiency and power output. The Outlander is a reliable car with no major issues and if well maintained, it can serve you for many years.
The Outlander PHEV on the other hand is a new car to this market and it goes without saying that this is a fairly complex car with many new technologies. Finding spare parts and qualified repair technicians is going to be a challenge in the foreseeable future. Of course there are many benefits to be derived from this car such as fuel savings and tax savings-Not sure if these exist in Kenya anyway. Buyers should therefore exercise caution. More details on the Outlander PHEV here
Always follow the recommended guidelines as per the Owner’s manual. To download the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Owner’s Manual click here
Resale Value: Good
Mitsubishi Outlander Competitors: Toyota Harrier, Nissan X-Trail, Toyota Vanguard, Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: From Ksh.2,200,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 88,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 60,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest Mitsubishi Outlander Prices here
The Mitsubishi Outlander is an outstanding SUV that makes a very compelling case especially to people with families. The 7-seater capacity and a spacious interior puts it above most of its competitors. Its 4WD system that borrows from the successful Pajero ensure that you can comfortably get in and out of muddy situations. Its definitely in the top tier and should not be overlooked when shopping for a mid-sized SUV.
What we like about the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander
1. Spacious interior
2. Good off-road capability for the 4WD
3. 7 Seater capacity
What we don’t
1. Expensive parts
Where to Buy the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Mitsubishi Outlander locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and UK who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In