The Toyota Auris is a medium sized hatchback that has been in production since 2006 for three generations. The first generation known as the NZE151 was in production from 2006 to 2012, the second generation known as NZE181 was in production from 2007 to 2012 and the third generation known as the NZE210 has been in production from 2018 to present.
The 2013 model comes with 2 engine options, these are the 1.5 Litre 1NZ-FE engine and the 1.8 Litre 2ZR-FAE engine. These are linked to either a 6-speed Manual Transmission or a Super CVT-i Transmission and available in both 2WD and 4WD.
2013 Toyota Auris Grades
- Toyota Auris 150X C Package – This is the basic grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, 2WD/4WD, automatic transmission, 15-Inch steel rims, key-start, 3-way display speedometer and manual air conditioner with dial type heater controls
- Toyota Auris 150X – This is an intermediate grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, 2WD/4WD, automatic transmission, 15-Inch steel rims, Smart-start, 3-way display speedometer and automatic air conditioner.
- Toyota Auris 150X S Package – This is a sports grade that comes with the 1.5L engine, 2WD/4WD, automatic transmission, 16-Inch alloy rims, Smart-start, 2-way display speedometer, automatic air conditioner, bi-xenon headlights, Fog lights and exterior chrome trim.
- Toyota Auris 180G – This is an intermediate grade that comes with the 1.8L engine, 2WD, automatic transmission, 15-Inch steel rims, Smart-start, 3-way display speedometer and automatic air conditioner.
- Toyota Auris 180G S Package – This is a sports grade that comes with the 1.8L engine, 2WD, automatic transmission with paddle shift and CVT Sports mode, 16-Inch alloy rims, Smart-start, 2-way display speedometer, automatic air conditioner, bi-xenon headlights, Fog lights and exterior chrome trim.
- Toyota Auris RS – This is a basic sports grade that comes with the 1.8L engine, 2WD, manual transmission, 16-Inch steel rims, key-start, 3-way display speedometer, manual air conditioner with dial type heater controls and steel exhaust pipe with diffusive.
- Toyota Auris RS S Package – This is a luxurious sports grade that comes with the 1.8L engine, 2WD, manual transmission, 16-Inch alloy rims, Smart-start, 2-way display speedometer, automatic air conditioner, bi-xenon headlights, Fog lights, exterior chrome trim and steel exhaust pipe with diffusive
Legroom & Space
On the inside, the Auris does not feel as premium as the Golf or the A4 but it’s practical and fairly spacious. At the first row, both seats have good legroom and can comfortably seat tall people. At the second row, the legroom is excellent thanks to the flat floor and adjustable seats.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage , a storage shelf below the dashboard, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, there’s storage on the front seat jacket pockets and door pockets.
2013 Toyota Auris Boot Space
The boot is spacious enough to carry luggage for a family of five. When extra space is required, the second row seats can be folded in a split configuration.
Other Extras: Paddle shifts, Smart Stop, USB Charging Port, Panoramic Sunroof
Safety Features: SRS Airbags, Curtain airbags, ABS, EBD, VSC+TRC
The exterior is sharper and more angular than its predecessor. The sports grades come with alloy rims and chrome finish.
2013 Toyota Auris Fuel Consumption
2013 Toyota Auris 1.5L fuel consumption: 19.2 km/L
2013 Toyota Auris 1.8L fuel consumption: 16.0 km/L
2013 Toyota Auris Acceleration
2013 Toyota Auris 1.5L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 10.8 sec.
2013 Toyota Auris 1.8L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.5 sec.
2013 Toyota Auris Fuel Tank Capacity: 50 Litres
2013 Toyota Auris Ground Clearance
The 2013 Toyota Auris has a ground clearance of 5.9 Inches(150mm) which is below the minimum recommended clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads. It may be necessary to modify the ground clearance to adjust the car to Kenyan roads. Read our guidelines here on how to safely increase a vehicle’s ground clearance.
2013 Toyota Auris Stability and Handling
The Toyota Auris drives well and does not have any noticeable handling problems. The steering has a light touch and the braking is precise. The 1.5L engine is a bit lazy when coming off a standstill but it drives smoothly once it picks speed. On the other hand, the 1.8L engine is well powered and accelerates quickly from a standstill. Around corners, the Auris holds well thanks to the wider track and low center of gravity.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km for petrol and 5,000 km for diesel. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
As its common with Toyotas, service parts are very affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts are expensive and not so easy to find. In Nairobi, most spare shops in Industrial Area and Kirinyaga Road stock these parts. You can get listings for these shops in this link
2013 Toyota Auris Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
The Toyota Auris is a solid car with no long term problems. Engine and gearbox failures have been reported but largely due to bad maintenance as opposed to manufacturer defects. We always advise that you thoroughly read the Owner’s Manual as it contains vital information on how the car should be handled. To download the 2013 Toyota Auris Owner’s Manual, click here.
Resale Value: Good
Toyota Auris Competitors: Subaru Impreza, VW Golf, Mazda Axela, Nissan Tiida, Peugeot 306 and Audi A4
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh.1,200,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 46,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 24,000/- for 4 Tyres
See latest Toyota Auris prices here
What we like about the 2013 Toyota Auris
2. Cheap to maintain
3. Good fuel economy
What we don’t
Low ground clearance
Buying a Toyota Auris is the safest bet you can make within the medium sized hatchback category. It’s reliable, cheap to maintain and easy to sell. It also boasts some of the top safety ratings and a raft of other features. It is highly recommend for people who value reliability and practicality.
Where to Buy the 2013 Toyota Auris in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Toyota Auris locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In