2013 VW Polo Review
The VW Polo is a popular mini hatchback that has been in production from 1975 and sold in markets worldwide. It enjoys considerable success in Kenya but faces stiff competition from cheaper Japanese alternatives that have dominated the market for a while. These include the Toyota Passo, Nissan March, Mazda Verisa, Toyota Vitz and Mazda Demio
The Volkswagen Polo is a 5 seater mini hatchback that has been in production for six generations starting from 1975 to present. It’s one of the best mini hatchbacks in the market offering excellent safety, performance, reliability and comfort. The build quality is exceptional all round with a well furnished cabin
The 2013 VW Polo is offered with a choice of 5 engines both petrol and diesel. These are;
1. The 1.2 Litre Engine (60 PS , 70 PS and 105 PS)
2. The 1.4 Litre Engine (85 PS and 140 PS)
3. The 1.4 Litre TSI Engine (180 PS)
4. The 1.2 Litre TDI Engine (75 PS )
5. The 1.6 Litre TDI Engine (90 PS)
These are linked to; a 7-speed automatic DSG transmission, a 5-Speed manual and a 6-speed manual transmission. It’s available only in 2WD.
2013 VW Polo Grades
- VW Polo S – This is the base grade that comes with a choice of the 1.2L engines, 14-Inch steel rims, plain steering wheel, Radio/CD player and manual A/C.
- VW Polo BlueMotion – This is an intermediate grade that comes with the 1.2L TDI 75 PS engine, start/stop function, battery regeneration, 15-Inch alloy rims, semi automatic AC, multifunction computer midline display, Bluetooth, tyre pressure indicator, plain steering wheel and fog lights.
- VW Polo Match – This is an intermediate grade that comes with a choice of the 1.2L engines and 1.4L 85 PS engine, start/stop function, battery regeneration, 15-Inch alloy rims, semi automatic AC, multifunction computer midline display, USB, Bluetooth, tyre pressure indicator, plain steering wheel ,fog lights, gloss black radiator grille, chrome trim, leather trimmed gear knob and handbrake grip, front footwell illumination and high quality uphostery.
- VW Polo SEL – This is a luxury grade that comes with a choice of the 1.2L 105 PS engine, 1.4L 85 PS engine and the 1.6L TDI engine, start/stop function, battery regeneration, 16-Inch alloy rims, semi automatic AC, multifunction computer midline display, USB, Bluetooth, tyre pressure indicator, plain steering wheel and fog lights.
- VW Polo GTI – This is a sports grade that comes with the 1.4L 180 PS TSI engine, GTI honeycomb grille and red radiator grille louvres, uniquely shaped front and rear bumpers, 15mm lowered suspension, 17-Inch Monza alloy rims, red brake calipers, chrome exhaust twin tailpipe and GTI badging.
2013 VW Polo Interior
Legroom & Space
The VW Polo is a comfortable mini hatchback with a well designed interior that is similar in layout to the Golf. At the first row, there’s enough legroom for both driver and passenger. At the second, the legroom is sufficient for average people but tall people will find it tight.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a cubby box and glovebox. At the second row, there are 2 cupholders and and storage pockets on the front seats.
2013 VW Polo Boot Space
The boot is large enough to carry luggage for a family of five. The rear seats can also fold down to create extra space when needed.
Extras: Adaptive Headlights, Navigation
Safety Features: SRS Airbags, ABS with HBA(Hydraulic Brake Assist), ESP(Electronic Stabilisation Programme), EDL(Electronic Differential Lock)
2013 VW Polo Exterior
The VW Polo closely resembles the Golf in exterior styling and features well crafted exterior with angular headlights. Higher grades come with alloy rims and fog lights.
2013 VW Polo Fuel Consumption
2013 VW Polo 1.2L Petrol fuel consumption: 21.8 Km/L
2013 VW Polo 1.2L Diesel fuel consumption: 30.7 Km/L
2013 VW Polo 1.2L Diesel BlueMotion fuel consumption: 34.3 Km/L
2013 VW Polo 1.4L Petrol fuel consumption: 20.3 Km/L
2013 VW Polo 1.4L TSI Petrol fuel consumption: 20.3 Km/L
2013 VW Polo 1.6L TDI fuel consumption: 27.9 Km/L
2013 VW Polo Acceleration
2013 VW Polo 1.2L 70 PS Petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 14.1 sec.
2013 VW Polo 1.2L 105 PS Petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.7 sec.
2013 VW Polo 1.4L Petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 11.9 sec.
2013 VW Polo 1.4L TSI GTI accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 6.9 sec.
2013 VW Polo 1.2L Diesel TDI accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.9 sec.
2013 VW Polo 1.6L TDI accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 11.5 sec.
2013 VW Polo Fuel Tank Capacity: 45 Litres
2013 VW Polo Ground Clearance
It has a ground clearance of 6.6 inches(168mm) which is above the minimum recommended ground clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads and can be driven comfortably here.
2013 VW Polo Stability and Handling
Compared to its Japanese rivals, the VW Polo is an exceptionally well engineered car that can be driven at high speeds without any stability problems. The Polo GTI is accelerative and comes with a lowered suspension that gives it a firmer grip on the road.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are fairly priced and shared with the Golf. Body parts on the other hand are expensive and mostly available in Nairobi. You can get listings for the shops that sell VW Spares in this link.
2013 VW Polo Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
The VW Polo is not as forgiving on poor maintenance as some of its Japanese rivals. The DSG gearbox has elaborate maintenance procedures and it should only be serviced by a qualified technician. It also requires an expensive transmission fluid with dedicated additives. Anything short of proper maintenance is catastrophic. Also, ensure you thoroughly read the Owner’s Manual as it contains vital information on the maintenance and operation of the car. Send us an email at [email protected] for a copy of the 2013 VW Polo Owner’s Manual.
Resale Value: Average
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: Starting from Ksh.850,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 34,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 28,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest VW Polo Prices here
What we like about the 2013 VW Polo
The VW Polo is one of the best mini hatchbacks you can buy in Kenya. It boasts of top safety ratings, excellent build quality and good fuel economy. Its ideal for people that are looking for an economy car that is comfortable and safe.
Where to Buy the 2013 VW Polo in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the VW Polo locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and UK who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Get More With TopCar
If you have a question about this model or any other automotive questions, you can now get answers on our forum.
If you want to sell or trade-in you vehicle, you can list it for free via our seller portal.