The Volkswagen Sharan is a 7-seater MPV manufactured by the German automaker Volkswagen and has been in production for two generation since 1995. The first generation known as the 7M was in production from 1995 to 2010 and the second generation known as the 7N has been in production from 2010 to present.
The 2013 VW Sharan is offered with 3 engine options, these are; 1.4L TSI Petrol engine, 2.0L TSI petrol engine and 2.0L TDI diesel engine. These are linked to either a 6-speed automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual transmission and available only in 2WD.
2013 VW Sharan Grades
- VW Sharan S – This is the base grade that comes with a choice of the three engines, 16-Inch steel rims, CD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights with daytime running lights, clothe seats, plain steering wheel, manually adjustable driver’s seat, 3 zone AC, battery regeneration, start stop function and tyre pressure loss indicator.
- VW Sharan SE – This is the intermediate grade that comes with a choice of the three engines, 16-Inch alloy rims, CD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights with daytime running lights, clothe seats, leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel, 6-way electrically adjustable driver’s seat,3 zone AC, battery regeneration, start stop function, tyre pressure loss indicator, chrome trim, dusk sensor, cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensor, and automatically dimmed rearview mirror.
- VW Sharan SEL – This is the luxury grade comes with either the 2.0L TSI petrol engine or the 2.0L TDI diesel engine, 17-Inch alloy rims, DVD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights with daytime running lights, leather seats, leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel, 6-way electrically adjustable driver’s seat,3 zone AC, battery regeneration, start stop function, tyre pressure loss indicator, chrome trim, dusk sensor, cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensor, and automatically dimmed rearview mirror, fog lights with static cornering function, roof rails and front heated seats.
- VW Sharan Executive – This is an ultra luxurious grade that comes only with the 2.0L TDI engine, 6 seater, 18-Inch alloy rims, DVD/Radio player, Halogen Headlights with daytime running lights, leather seats, leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel, 6-way electrically adjustable driver’s seat,3 zone AC, battery regeneration, start stop function, tyre pressure loss indicator, chrome trim, dusk sensor, cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensor, and automatically dimmed rearview mirror, fog lights with static cornering function, roof rails, front heated seats and panoramic sunroof
Legroom & Space
The VW Sharan is a spacious vehicle that can comfortably seat seven adults in a three row configuration. When compared with its closest competitors such as the Mazda Premacy and the Mitsubish Delica D5, the Sharan is by far the most spacious and comfortable. At the first row, there’s is plenty of legroom for both driver and passenger to recline. At the second and third rows, there’s similarly good legroom with well elevated seats that afford passengers an excellent view of the road.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage and glovebox. At the second row, there are 2 cupholders and foldaway tables. On the third row, there are 4 cupholders and storage on the side pockets.
2013 VW Sharan Boot Space
In the seven seater configuration, the boot space is really small and cannot carry any meaningful luggage except maybe groceries. In the five seater configuration, the boot is really large and can carry a lot of luggage. In the 2 seater configuration, the VW Sharan is transformed into a formidable cargo van.
Other Extras: USB Charging, Overhead TV Screen, dual electric sliding doors, Electric closing tailgate, engine start/stop function
Safety Features: SRS airbags, knee airbags, side airbags, curtain airbags, ABS, EBD, Traction Control and Counter Support(ASR), 3 Point seat belts with ELR, Electronic stability control(ESC), Electronic Differential Lock(EDL), Lane Assist
The VW Sharan is stylish car whose exterior does not give away its MPV characteristics and rather looks like a large station wagon. The headlights are sharp and similar to those of the VW Passat with daytime running LEDs that add a touch of class. The higher grades come with fog lights and roof rails which enhances the look of the car.
2013 VW Sharan Fuel Consumption
2013 VW Sharan 1.4L TSI Petrol fuel consumption: 13.2 Km/L
2013 VW Sharan 2.0L TSI Petrol fuel consumption: 11.7 Km/L
2013 VW Sharan 2.0L TDI Diesel fuel consumption: 17.5 Km/L
2013 VW Sharan Acceleration
2013 VW Sharan 1.4L TSI Petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.9 sec.
2013 VW Sharan 2.0L TSI Petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 8.3 sec.
2013 VW Sharan 2.0L TDI Diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.6 sec.
2013 VW Sharan Fuel Tank Capacity: 70 Litres
2013 VW Sharan Ground Clearance
The 2013 VW Sharan has a ground clearance of 6.4 Inches(163mm) which is within range of the recommended clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads.
2013 VW Sharan Stability and Handling
The 1.4L engine may sound too small for the heft of the car but do not be mistaken, the TSI has an ace up its sleeve; it’s turbocharged and supercharged (TSI) which means it pulls extremely well. The 2.0L TSI packs the heaviest punch so if you prefer plenty of power supply, then go for this engine. The TDI is not bad either and the low end torque is particularly good for people that carry a lot. On the road, the Sharan drives exceptionally well with fluid gear shifts and good stability around corners.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are fairly priced and same for the Passat and the Golf. Body parts are expensive and not easily available. For Sharan spare parts, you can get listings for these shops in this link.
2013 VW Sharan Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
The VW Sharan is not as forgiving on poor maintenance as some Japanese cars. The TSI engine and DSG transmission are very sensitive to bad maintenance. DSG gearbox failures are very common here in Kenya and this is strictly because of using bad quality automatic transmission fluid. If properly maintained, the VW Sharan is reliable car with minimal issues. Ensure you thoroughly read the Owner’s Manual as it contains vital information on the maintenance and operation of the car. To download the 2013 VW Sharan Owner’s Manual, click here.
Resale Value: Average
VW Sharan Competitors: Mazda Premacy, Toyota Wish, Nissan Lafesta, Subaru Exiga and Mitsubishi Delica D:5
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: See Latest Prices here
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 52,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 28,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest VW Sharan Prices here
What we like about the 2013 VW Sharan
1. Spacious and comfortable
2. Excellent safety ratings
3. Good ground clearance
What we don’t
Expensive body parts
The VW Sharan is an excellent family car that boasts of top notch safety ratings and premium quality build. It’s ideal for people with large families who value economy and comfort.
Where to Buy the 2013 VW Sharan in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the VW Sharan locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In