The Ford Ranger has been in production for many years in various forms but the T6 version entered production in 2011 and has been in production since then . It was designed by Ford Australia and shares its underpinnings with the Mazda BT-50. The Ford Everest is also built on the Ford Ranger platform in the similar way the Toyota Fortuner is built on the Hilux platform.The 2014 Ford Ranger is offered with 2 engine choices. These are; a 2.2-Litre Duratorq TDCi turbo diesel engine and a 3.2-Litre Duratorq TDCi turbo diesel engine. These are linked to either a 6-Speed Ford MT82 manual transmission or a 6-Speed Ford 6R80 automatic transmission and available in 2WD and 4WD.
The 2014 Ford Ranger body configurations
- Regular Cab 4×2 – This is single cabin, low ride, 2WD
- Regular Cab 4×4 – This is single cabin, high ride, 4WD
- Super Cab 4×4 – This is single extended cabin, high ride, 4WD
- Double Cab 4×4 – This is double cabin, high ride, 4WD
2014 Ford Ranger Grades
- Ford Ranger XL – This comes with 16-Inch steel rims, black moulded front grille, body coloured front bumpers, rear mudflaps, manual tailgate lock, quickclear heated windscreen, inner DIN-compilant tie-downs, Ford Easy Fuel capless refueling system, 6-speed manual transmission, Electronic Stability Control(ESC) with Traction Control and Emergency Brake Assist(EBA), electronic shift on the fly(4×4 only), Electronic high and low range selections, electrically operated and heated mirrors, high mounted stop light, electrically operated front windows, theatre style dimming courtesy lights and USB charging ports.
- Ford Ranger XLT – This adds 16-Inch alloy rims, chrome finish grille, automatic headlights and auto-wipers with rain sensor, front fog lights, chrome finish door caps and handles, plastic moulded side steps with bright finish metallic inserts, bedliner with protective side wall, power heated foldable door mirrors, manual AC, auto dimming rear view mirror, overhead console, cruise control, leather-trimmed steering wheel with remote audio controls, illuminated vanity mirror sunvisors and Tyre Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS)
- Ford Ranger Limited – This adds 17-Inch alloy rims, chrome grille, chrome finish steel rear step bumper, C-channel tide-down system, privacy glass on rear windows, power-foldable chrome door mirrors with puddle lights and side indicators, coolbox in centre console, Dual-zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control(DEATC) air conditioning, loadbox liner with 12v socket(double cab only), Front and rear mudflaps, rear privacy glass, chrome tubular sports bar with loadbox illumination, 8-way electrically adjustable heater driver’s seat with lumbar support(double cab), leather seat trim, front and rear carpet floor mats with Ranger logo, rear parking sensors.
- Ford Ranger Wildtrak – This adds 18-Inch machined alloy rims, titanium effect painted front grille, power foldable mirrors with titanium effect, integrated side turn indicators and puddle lights, body colour front bumper with painted inserts, titanium effect painted rear step bumper, plastic moulded side steps with brushed-finish metallic inserts, titanium effect door and tailgate handles, aluminium finish roof rails, aerodynamic sports bar with integrated loadbox illumination, wing grille with ‘Wildtrak’ logo, rear-view camera, a choice of 7 ambient interior lighting colours with dimming control, leather trimmed steering wheel with ‘Widtrak’ stitching, Wildtrak floor mats and Wildtrak seat trim.
2014 Ford Ranger Interior
Legroom & Space
For the both Single cab and Double cab options, the space and legroom is excellent. The grades vary a lot in terms of accessories and its important you choose one that fits your lifestyle. The Wildtrak is ideal for people who want a balance between work and play and it comes with all imaginable modern luxuries. In terms of seating space, the double cab offers good legroom for both rows. The rear seats have limited room to recline and can be uncomfortable at long distance
The single cab Ford Ranger has 4 cup holders, door panel storage, a glovebox and centre console. The double cab adds door pockets, front seat jacket pockets and 2 cupholders in the armrest compartment(Limited and Widtrak only)
Extras: Hard Top, Bed liner, Roof carrier, Snorkel, 230V power outlet
2014 Ford Ranger Exterior
The Ford Ranger is a big vehicle with a commanding 4×4 posture . Higher grades come with alloy rims, side steps fog lights and chrome finishing.
2014 Ford Ranger Safety Features: SRS Airbags(driver, front passenger, side thorax, side curtain, driver’s knee) Electronic Stability Control(ESC), Emergency Brake Lights, Emergency Brake Assist(EBA), Load Adaptive Control(LAC), Hill Descent Control(4×4 only), Hill Start Assist(4×4 only), Trailer Sway Control, Roll Over Mitigation(ROM)
2014 Ford Ranger Fuel Consumption
The 2.2L Single Cab 4×2 Fuel Consumption: 18.19 Km/L
The 2.2L Single Cab 4×4 Fuel Consumption: 18.49 Km/L
The 2.2L Super Cab 4×4 Fuel Consumption: 18.49 Km/L
The 2.2L Double Cab 4×4 Fuel Consumption: 17.17 Km/L
The 3.2L Double Cab 4×4 Fuel Consumption: 13.64 Km/L
2014 Ford Ranger Acceleration
The 2.2L Single Cab accelerates from 0-100 Km/h in 13.5 sec
The 2.2L Single Cab 4×4 accelerates from 0-100 Km/h in 11.8 sec
The 2.2L Super Cab 4×4 accelerates from 0-100 Km/h in 11.8 sec
The 2.2L Double Cab 4×4 accelerates from 0-100 Km/h in 11.8 sec
The 3.2L Double Cab 4×4 accelerates from 0-100 Km/h in 10.9 sec2014 Ford Ranger Fuel Tank Capacity: 80 Litres
Service and Maintenance Costs
Minor Service- At 10,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service – At 15,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Diesel Filter, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Ford Ranger service parts are well priced and comparable in price to that of the Toyota Hilux. Body parts are slightly expensive and sometimes difficult to find. For a list of Ford Ranger Spare Part dealers in Kenya
2014 Ford Ranger Reliability
The Ford Ranger shares the 2.2 Duratorq engine with the Land Rover Defender. Both the 2.2L and the 3.2L Duratorq engines are generally reliable but require almost religious maintenance. As with any car, problems do occur and the Ford Ranger is no exception. Below are the common problems reported by owners.
1. Manual gearbox shift problems
2. Injector problems
3. Turbo/intercooler problems
4. Engine failure
Always follow the recommended guidelines as per the Owner’s Manual. To request the 2014 Ford Ranger Owner’s Manual send an email to [email protected]
Resale Value: Fair
Ford Ranger Competitors: Toyota Hilux, Isuzu D-Max, Mitsubishi L200, Nissan Navara /Hardbody, Volkswagen Amarok and Mazda BT-50.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: From Ksh. 2,500,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 72,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 60,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest Ford Ranger prices hereConclusion
The Ford Ranger is an excellent choice for people looking for a light commercial pickup. It caters to a wide range of clientele from the commercially focused single cab to the family focused Wildtrak. The engines are sensitive to poor maintenance and you need to religiously stick to the prescribed maintenance. Other than that, the Ford Ranger is an excellent choice for people looking for alternatives outside the Hilux and D-Max train.
What we like about the 2014 Ford Ranger
1. Wide options to choose from
What we don’t
Where to Buy the 2014 Ford Ranger in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Ford Ranger in Kenya, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and UK who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Contact Us To Import This Car
Send Us an Email