The Toyota Hilux is a light commercial pickup that has been in production for eight generations since 1968. It’s closely related to the Hilux Surf and the Toyota Fortuner with which it shares a common platform and they’re different only in body construction and interior styling. The Hilux has enjoyed success in the Kenyan market for many years thanks to its versatility that makes it suitable for both commercial and private applications. It’s offered in single cab and double cab and available in both 2WD and 4WD.
- Spacious Interior
- Modern exterior
- Good Resale Value
- Versatile – can be used for many applications
- 5 passenger capacity for the double cab and 2 passenger capacity for the single cab
The 2017 Toyota Hilux comes with a choice of two diesel engines; these are the Common Rail 2.5 Litre 2KD-FTV Turbo diesel engine and the Common Rail 3.0 Litre 1KD-FTV Turbo diesel engine that are linked to either a 5-Speed Manual Transmission, a 6-Speed Manual Transmission or a 5-Speed Automatic Transmission. The imported variants from Japan come with a 2.4 Litre 2GD-FTV engine that is linked to a 6-Speed Super ECT(Electronically Controlled Transmission)
2017 Toyota Hilux Grades
- Single Cab 4×2 – Two passengers, 2.5L engine, 2WD, 5-Speed manual transmission, manual A/C and 15-Inch steel rims
- Single Cab 4×4- Two passengers, 2.5L engine, 4WD, 6-Speed manual transmission, manual A/C and 17-Inch steel rims.
- Standard Grade – Five passengers, 2.5L engine, 4WD, 6-Speed manual transmission, manual A/C and 16-Inch steel rims
- Deluxe Grade – Five passengers, 2.5L engine, 4WD, 6-Speed manual transmission, manual A/C, 17-Inch steel rims and painted grille.
- Super Deluxe Grade (Toyota Hilux Invincible)- Five passengers, 3.0L engine, 4WD, 6-Speed manual transmission, automatic A/C, 17-Inch alloy rims, chrome grille, fog lights, chrome side-step and silver interior trim, high grade fabric seats, side airbags and curtain airbags.
- Super Deluxe Grade (Toyota Hilux Invincible X)- Five passengers, 3.0L engine, 4WD, 5-Speed automatic transmission, automatic A/C, 17-Inch alloy rims, chrome grille, fog lights, chrome side-step, silver interior trim, leather seats, side airbags and curtain airbags
Interior and Exterior
The double cab Toyota Hilux has a spacious interior that can comfortably seat five adults. It compares favorably with its closest rivals such as the Isuzu D-Max and the Ford Ranger. The legroom is excellent on both rows and tall people can be comfortably accommodated. The second row seats have an upright and fixed back that can be strenuous at long distances
On the outside, the Toyota Hilux has a modern and fresh looking exterior that is more family friendly and an improvement from its previously agricultural look.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, there are 2 cup-holders on the armrest.
2017 Toyota Hilux Carrying Capacity
- Single Cab 4×2 – 1,105 Kg
- Single Cab 4×4 – 1,005 Kg
- Double Cab 2.5L – 840 Kg
- Double Cab 3.0L – 840 Kg
Extras: ECO Mode, Power Mode, USB Charging Port, Touchscreen
2017 Toyota Hilux Safety Features: SRS Airbags( Driver Knee airbag, side airbags, curtain airbags) ABS with EBD, 3-Point ELR seatbelts, Brake Assist, VSC, Load Sensing Proportioning and Bypass Valve
2017 Toyota Hilux Fuel Economy
2017 Toyota Hilux Single Cab 4×2 2.5L fuel consumption: 16.4 km/L
2017 Toyota Hilux Single Cab 4×4 2.5L fuel consumption: 16.4 km/L
2017 Toyota Hilux Double Cab 4×4 2.5L fuel consumption: 16.4 km/L
2017 Toyota Hilux Double Cab 4×4 3.0L MT fuel consumption: 15.6 km/L
2017 Toyota Hilux Double Cab 4×4 3.0L AT fuel consumption: 13.9 km/L
2017 Toyota Hilux Acceleration
2017 Toyota Hilux Single Cab 4×2 2.5L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.3 sec.
2017 Toyota Hilux Single Cab 4×4 2.5L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.3 sec.
2017 Toyota Hilux Double Cab 4×4 2.5L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.3 sec.
2017 Toyota Hilux Double Cab 4×4 3.0L MT accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 12.1 sec.
2017 Toyota Hilux Double Cab 4×4 3.0L AT accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 12 sec.
2017 Toyota Hilux Fuel Tank Capacity: 80 Litres
2017 Toyota Hilux Performance and Handling
The Toyota Hilux is a responsive and easy to drive car with a well balanced steering that provides excellent feedback to the driver. The turbocharged common rail engines have sufficient power for normal day to day driving but the 3.0L is particularly powerful and exciting to drive. The Toyota Hilux leans a bit too much around corners due to the leaf sprung rear suspension.
2017 Toyota Hilux Service Intervals
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter and Engine Oil, etc.
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Front Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil, etc.
Toyota Hilux Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts are expensive and available from major Toyota dealerships in Kenya. For a list of Toyota spare part dealers, follow this link..
2017 Toyota Hilux Reliability
The Toyota Hilux and the Toyota Landcruiser were once regarded as the most reliable cars ever built. well, the Landcruiser still retains that crown but Hilux has taken a rap due to the complex common rail engines that can cause problems if not well maintained. Below are the commonly reported problems with the 1KD-FTV and 2KD-FTV engines:
- Turbo failure
- Injector and pump failure
- Common Rail system failure
- Engine rattling
- Engine Failure
- Common rail engines are extremely intolerant to adulterated fuel which is a known killer for these engines.
- Due to the high pressures and extreme heat generated by the common rail engines, good and timely maintenance is key to keep the components such as the turbo and injectors working properly. Poor maintenance is a certified killer for common rail engines
- Low sulphur fuel is good for the environment but bad for common rail engines. Low sulphur fuel has less lubrication which is bad for the high thermal conditions and these will wear off the engines more quickly.
- Adulterated and dirty fuel – Common rail systems require clean fuel and they have a very low tolerance for contaminated fuel.
If you are planning to own the Toyota Hilux, it’s vital that you read the Owner’s Manual . To request the 2017 Toyota Hilux English Owner’s manual, write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resale Value: Good
Toyota Hilux Competitors: Isuzu D-Max, Ford Ranger, Nissan Hardbody, Nissan Navara, Mazda BT-50, Mitsubishi L200 and VW Amarok.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh 3,000,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 120,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 60,000/- for 4 Tyres
NB: figures as at September 2019
What we like about the 2017 Toyota Hilux
1. Versatile and adaptable to many uses.
2. Spacious and comfortable cabin
3. Decent power
What we don’t
Sensitive common rail engines
The Toyota Hilux is like a Swiss army knife that is adaptable to many uses such as carrying cargo, towing, family car and an off-road vehicle. There’s a growing concern with the fragility of the common rail engines but with proper maintenance and care, the Hilux is still a formidable workhorse.
Where to Buy the 2017 Toyota Hilux in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Toyota Hilux locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
CALL US AT: 0720297863
EMAIL US ABOUT THIS CAR