2014 Toyota Passo Review
The Toyota Passo is a subcompact car which is developed by Toyota subsidiary Daihatsu. Its is available as both a 5 seater and a 7 seater. It competes with the Mazda Verisa, Nissan March and Suzuki Swift.
The Toyota Passo has been in production since 2004 and has been developed in 3 generations. The first generation Passo known as the M300 was in production from 2004 to 2010. The second generation known as the M600 was in production from 2010 to 2016 and the third generation known as the M700 has been in production from 2016 to the Present.
The 2014 Toyota Passo comes with two engine options. These are the 1.0 Litre 1KR-FE engine and the 1.3 Litre 1NR-FE engine.
Toyota Passo Grades
- Toyota Passo 1.0X V Package – This is a very basic grade that comes with the 1.0 Litre engine, Key start, manual AC, No Radio or CD Player, Manual Mirrors, and 13-Inch steel rims without covers.
- Toyota Passo 1.0X – This is similar to the V Package but with Radio/CD Player and 13-Inch steel rims with plastic covers, and an electric mirror.
- Toyota Passo 1.3G L Package – This grade comes with the 1.3 Litre engine, smart start, keyless entry, rear wiper, automatic AC, Radio/CD player, shoe rack under the driver’s seat and 13-Inch steel rims with covers.
- Toyota Passo 1.3G – This is similar to the L Package but with 14-Inch steel rims with covers
- Toyota Passo 1.0 + Hana C Package – The Hana grades come with more feminine colors such as pink, maroon, Red etc. This grade comes with the 1.0 Litre engine, Mirror Blinkers, 13-Inch steel rims with covers, Keystart, rear wiper, fog lights, No Radio/CD player and manual AC.
- Toyota Passo 1.0 + Hana – This grade is similar to the C Package but with Radio/CD Player, 14-Inch steel rims with covers, automatic AC and a shoe rack under the driver’s seat.
- Toyota Passo 1.3 + Hana – This is the luxury grade that comes with the 1.3 Litre engine, smart start, keyless entry, automatic AC, Radio/CD player and 14-Inch alloy rims.
Legroom & Space
The only significant changes to the 2014 Toyota Passo interior is the interior color, seat fabric pattern, speedometer color and font size, and the standardization of three rear headrests instead of two. In terms of legroom, a driver of average height will find it sufficient while a tall driver will find it small. For passengers, the legroom is adequate for short distances but can be restrictive at long distances.
In the first row, there are 2 cup-holders, door panel storage, a glovebox, a center box, an armrest compartment, and storage racks beneath the front seats. For the second row, there are 2 cup holders and front seat jacket pockets.
2014 Toyota Passo Boot Space
The boot is fairly spacious and can carry sizable luggage. When extra space is required, the rear seats can fold flat in a split configuration.
The 2014 Toyota Passo exterior is more attractive than previous models. The earlier models were visually dull, however, the facelift’s on the front bumper and headlights made you want to take a second look. The rear all-LED tail lights are a sight to behold at night, with each of the 24 LED bulbs flashing brightly and giving the vehicle an upscale appearance.
Toyota Passo Fuel Consumption
2014 Toyota Passo 1.0L Consumes 24km/L
2014 Toyota Passo 1.3L Consumes 21km/L
Toyota Passo Acceleration
2014 Toyota Passo 1.0L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 13.8 secs
2014 Toyota Passo 1.3L accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 12.5 secs
2014 Toyota Passo Fuel Tank Capacity: 40 Litres
2014 Toyota Passo Ground Clearance
The 2014 Toyota Passo has a ground clearance of 6.3 Inches (160mm) which is a few inches shy of the minimum recommended clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads. It may be necessary to modify the ground clearance to adjust the car to Kenyan roads. Read our guidelines here on how to safely increase a vehicle’s ground clearance.
Toyota Passo Stability and Handling
The Toyota Passo performs well at modest speeds and presents no unusual difficulties. At high speeds, the steering seems light and the vehicle leans excessively in curves. It is prudent to exercise caution when navigating corners, particularly at high speeds. The 1.0L engine is adequately powered under light load but struggles when fully loaded or climbing a steep incline. The 1.3L engine is significantly quicker and more responsive.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts for Toyota Passo are affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts are also affordable but can be difficult to find outside of Nairobi. Most spare shops in Industrial Area and Kirinyaga Road stock these parts. You can get listings for these shops in this link
Resale Value: Good
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: Starting from Ksh.750,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 38,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If necessary) Ksh. 16,000/- for 4 Tyres
See latest Toyota Passo prices here
The 2014 Toyota Passo’s facelift makes it one of the best city cars money can buy in today’s market. The Passo is a compelling choice to consider due to its Decent performance, great fuel economy, spacious interior, and good-looking exterior along with necessary safety features.
Where to Buy the 2014 Toyota Passo in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Toyota Passo locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Also Read: 2013 Toyota Passo Review
Get More With TopCar
If you have a question about this model or any other automotive questions, you can now get answers on our forum.
If you want to sell or trade-in you vehicle, you can list it for free via our seller portal.