The Volkswagen Touran is a 7 seater compact MPV manufactured by the German automaker Volkswagen and is built on the Golf MK5 platform. It has been in production for two generations since 2003. The first generation was in production from 2003 to 2015 and the second generation has been in production from 2015 to present.
The 2013 VW Touran is offered with a selection of turbocharged petrol engines and diesel engines( 2 Petrol and 4 Diesel), these are; the 1.2 Litre 105 PS TSI petrol, the 1.4 Litre 140 PS TSI Petrol, the 1.6 Litre 90 PS TDI diesel, the 1.6 Litre 105 PS TDI diesel, the 2.0 Litre 140 PS TDI diesel and the 2.0 Litre 170 PS TDI diesel. These are linked to either a 6 -7 speed automatic DSG transmission or a 6-speed manual transmission and available only in 2WD.
2013 VW Touran Grades
- VW Touran S – This is the base grade that comes with three engine choices, 15-Inch alloy rims, RCD 210 Radio/MP3 player with 4 speakers, optional sunroof, optional bi-xenon Headlights with daytime running lights, Matt chromium interior trim, plain steering wheel, manually adjustable driver’s seat, electronically controlled air conditioning.
- VW Touran SE – This is the intermediate grade that comes with three engine choices, 16-Inch alloy rims, RCD 310 Radio/MP3 player with 6 speakers, optional sunroof, optional bi-xenon Headlights with daytime running lights, a beige interior trim, leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel, manually adjustable driver’s seat, electronically controlled air conditioning, 65% light absorbing tinted glass from the B pillar back, ultrasonic audible parking sensors front and rear, an optical parking display on the vehicle’s audio system, rain sensors and an automatic dimming interior.
- VW Touran SP – Also known as the Touran Sport is an ultra luxurious sports grade that comes with two engine choices, 16-Inch alloy rims, RCD 510 touchscreen Radio/MP3 player with 6 speakers, optional sunroof, optional bi-xenon Headlights with daytime running lights, Alcantara interior trim, leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel, manually adjustable driver’s seat, 2Zone electronic climate control, 65% light absorbing tinted glass from the B pillar back, ultrasonic audible parking sensors front and rear, an optical parking display on the vehicle’s audio system, rain sensors, automatic dimming interior, fog lights.
Legroom & Space
The VW Touran is a comfortable car that affords passengers with top grade amenities and a spacious cabin. At the first row, there’s is enough legroom for both driver and passenger with enough space to recline as desired. At the second, the legroom is similarly impressive and the seats have a natural seating position thanks to the flat floor and proper elevation. At the third row, the space is sufficient for people of medium height but somewhat small for tall people.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a cubby box and glovebox. At the second row, there are 2 cupholders and foldaway tables. On the third row, there’s storage on the side pockets.
2013 VW Touran Boot Space
In the seven seater configuration, the boot space is somewhat small and can carry small sized luggage. In the five seater configuration, the boot is large enough and can carry sizable luggage. In the 2 seater configuration, the boot space is big and comparable to that of a cargo van.
Other Extras: 12V Charging Ports on second row and third row, Sunroof, Dual Zone AC
Safety Features: SRS airbags, knee airbags, side airbags, curtain airbags, ABS, EBD, Traction Control and Counter Support(ASR), 3 Point seat belts with ELR, Electronic stability Programme(ESC), Lane Assist
The VW Touran has a well crafted MPV looking exterior that is angular at the front and flat at the rear. The headlights are sharp and similar to those of the VW Passat with daytime running LEDs that add a touch of class. The higher grades come with fog lights and roof rails which enhances the look of the car.
2013 VW Touran Fuel Consumption
2013 VW Touran 1.2L TSI fuel consumption: 18.7 Km/L
2013 VW Touran 1.2L TSI BlueMotion fuel consumption: 20.4 Km/L
2013 VW Touran 1.4L TSI fuel consumption: 17.6 Km/L
2013 VW Touran 1.6L TDI fuel consumption: 23.5 Km/L
2013 VW Touran 1.6L TDI BlueMotion fuel consumption: 26.1 Km/L
2013 VW Touran 2.0L TDI fuel consumption: 21.1 Km/L
2013 VW Touran 2.0L TDI BlueMotion fuel consumption: 25.0 Km/L
2013 VW Touran Acceleration
2013 VW Touran 1.2L TSI accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 11.9 sec.
2013 VW Touran 1.4L TSI accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.5 sec.
2013 VW Touran 1.6L TDI accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 12.8 sec.
2013 VW Touran 2.0L TDI(140PS) accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.9 sec.
2013 VW Touran 2.0L TDI(170PS) accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 8.5 sec.
2013 VW Touran Fuel Tank Capacity: 70 Litres
2013 VW Touran Ground Clearance
The 2013 VW Touran has a ground clearance of 6.9 Inches(175mm) which is well above the recommended minimum clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads and will comfortably clear speed bumps.
2013 VW Touran Stability and Handling
The VW Touran is a well engineered car that drives well with fluid gear shifts and good stability around corners. The 1.2L and 1.4L engines take a bit too long to accelerate but once they pick speed, the rest of the drive is effortless. The 2.0L diesel is sufficiently powered and it accelerates quickly making it ideal for people that love speed.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are fairly priced and shared with the Passat and are widely available in Kenya. Body parts on the other hand are slightly expensive and mostly available in Nairobi. For a list of VW Spare Part dealers in Kenya, visit this link
2013 VW Touran Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
The VW Touran is not as forgiving on poor maintenance as some of its Japanese rivals. The DSG transmission in particular is very sensitive to poor maintenance and gearbox failures are common here in Kenya. If properly maintained, the VW Touran is reliable car with minimal issues. Ensure you thoroughly read the Owner’s Manual as it contains vital information on the maintenance and operation of the car. To request the 2013 VW Touran Owner’s Manual, write an email to [email protected]
Resale Value: Average
VW Touran Competitors: Honda Freed, Toyota Wish, Mazda Premacy and Subaru Exiga.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: Starting from Ksh.1,100,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 48,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 28,000/- for 4 Tyres
NB: figures as at September 2019
What we like about the 2013 VW Touran
1. Spacious and comfortable
2. Excellent safety ratings
What we don’t
Expensive body parts
The VW Touran is an excellent family car that boasts of top notch safety ratings and premium quality build. It’s ideal for people with large families who value economy and comfort.
Where to Buy the 2013 VW Touran in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the VW Touran locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In