The Mazda CX-5 is a 5-seater crossover SUV that has been in production from 2012 to present. It’s built on the same platform as the Axela and the Atenza. The first generation known as the KE series was in production from 2012 to 2017, the second generation known as KF has been in production from 2017 to present. It replaced both the tribune and the CX-7 that were discontinued due to their declining market value.
The 2014 Mazda CX-5 comes with 3 engine options, these are a 2.5-Litre SKYACTIV-G petrol engine, a 2.2 Litre SKYACTIV-D diesel engine and a 2.0 Litre SKYACTIV-G petrol engine. These are linked to a 6-speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission and available in both 2WD and 4WD.
2014 Mazda CX-5 Grades
- Mazda CX-5 20C – This is the base grade that comes with the 2.0L petrol engine, 2WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, Smart Start, i-stop, DVD/Radio player and manually operated clothe seats.
- Mazda CX-5 20S – This is mid range grade that comes with the 2.0L petrol engine, 2WD and 4WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio, steering controls and automatically operated clothe seats
- Mazda CX5 XD – This grade comes with the 2.2L diesel engine, 2WD and 4WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, smart start, i-stop, DVD/Radio player with Bose audio, steering controls and manually operated clothe seats
- Mazda CX-5 XD L Package – This is the premium grade that comes with the 2.2L diesel engine, 2WD and 4WD, 19-Inch alloy rims, smart start, i-stop, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio and electrically operated leather seats
- Mazda CX-5 25S – This grade that comes with the 2.5L petrol engine, 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio, steering controls and automatically operated clothe seats
- Mazda CX-5 25S L Package – This is the premium grade that comes with the 2.5L petrol engine, 2WD and 4WD, 19-Inch alloy rims, smart start, i-stop, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio and electrically operated leather seats
2014 Mazda CX-5 Interior
Legroom & Space
The Mazda CX-5 is sufficiently spaced with decent legroom and headspace on both rows. At the first row, both seats have excellent legroom and can comfortably accommodate tall people. At the second row, the legroom is ok and feels adequate even for tall people.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage , a storage shelf below the dashboard, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, there are 4 cupholders, front seat jacket pockets and door pockets.
2014 Mazda CX-5 Boot Space
With 500 Litres of space, the boot is big enough to carry luggage for a family of five. When extra space is required, the second row seats can be folded in a split configuration to free up 1620 Litres of storage space.
Other Extras: Paddle shifts, Sunroof, Cruise Control
Safety Features: SRS Airbags, Curtain airbags, DCS and TCS, ABS, Electronic Stability Control, i-ACTIVESENSE, 3 Point ELR seatbelt, Smart City Brake Support(SCBS)
2014 Mazda CX-5 Exterior
The CX-5 has a well crafted exterior with a sharp front and a rounded exterior. All grades come with alloy rims, fog lights and a dual exhaust that gives it a sporty look.
2014 Mazda CX-5 Fuel Consumption
2014 Mazda CX-5 2.0L petrol fuel consumption: 16.0 km/L
2014 Mazda CX-5 2.2L diesel fuel consumption: 18.6 km/L
2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L petrol fuel consumption: 15.2 km/L
2014 Mazda CX-5 Acceleration
2014 Mazda CX-5 2.0L petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 10.0 sec.
2014 Mazda CX-5 2.2L diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.0 sec.
2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5L petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 9.5 sec.
2014 Mazda CX-5 Fuel Tank Capacity: 56 Litres for 2WD and 58 Litres for 4WD
2014 Mazda CX-5 Stability and Handling
The Mazda CX-5 is a well engineered car with a solid suspension and a perfectly weighted steering. It feels stable on the road with minimal body roll around corners. The petrol engine takes slightly longer to accelerate but once it gains speed it moves effortlessly. The diesel engine on the other hand is powerful and accelerates very fast.
Mazda CX-5 Service Intervals
Minor Service: At 10,000 km for petrol and 5,000 km for diesel. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 15,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Mazda CX-5 Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts are expensive for now and not as easily available. In Nairobi, most spare shops in Industrial Area and Kirinyaga Road stock the service parts. You can get listings for these shops in this link
2014 Mazda CX-5 Reliability
Mazda builds reliable cars and the CX-5 is no exception. The diesel engine requires extra care but if well taken care of, it’s as reliable as the petrol engine. We always advise that you thoroughly read the Owner’s Manual as it contains vital information on how the car should be maintained.
Resale Value: Average
Mazda CX-5 Competitors: Nissan X-Trail, Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav-4, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander and the VW Tiguan.
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh.1,850,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 74,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 40,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest Mazda CX-5 Prices
What we like about the 2014 Mazda CX-5
1. Excellent handling and ride characteristics
2. Spacious interior
3. Good fuel economy
What we don’t
1. Expensive body parts
The Mazda CX-5 is an excellent SUV that is ideal for both urban and upcountry dwellers. Though it’s a late entrant to the crowded SUV field, we think it will do extremely well in this market thanks to its solid reputation and excellent build quality. Now is the time to get yours before the prices hit the roof.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import, Buy, Sell or Trade-In