2014 Volkswagen Golf Review
The Volkswagen golf is one of the most sought small hatchbacks in the Kenyan market and is loved due to its fuel efficiency. The VW Golf competes with the Audi A3, BMW 1 Series, Mercedes A-Class, Mazda Axela, Subaru Impreza, Toyota Auris and the Mitsubishi Galant Fortis Sportback.
The Volkswagen Golf is a 5-seater compact car that has been in production for eight generations starting from 1974 to the present. It’s not as popular in the Kenyan market as some of its Japanese rivals thanks to peculiar local habits that eschew the German brands, but still, it has a sizable fan base. Elsewhere, the VW Golf is a bestselling icon that is regarded for its leadership in design, safety, performance, and comfort. It’s offered in various body styles such as the economy-focused normal hatchback, the family-oriented station wagon known as the Golf Variant, and the performance-focused sports variants.
The 2015 VW Golf is offered in petrol and diesel engines.
1. The 1.2 Liter TSI Engines (85 PS and 105 PS)
2. The 1.4 Liter TSI Engines (122 PS and 140 PS)
3. The 2.0 Liter TSI Engines (220 PS, 230 PS and 300 PS)
1. The 1.6 Liter TDI Engines (90 PS, 105 PS and 110 PS)
2. The 2.0-Liter TDI Engines (105 PS, 150 PS and 184 PS)
2014 VW Golf Grades
- VW Golf S – This is the base grade that comes with a choice of either the 1.2L TSI, the 1.4L TSI or the 1.6 TDI engines plus start/stop function, battery regeneration, 15-Inch alloy rims, manual AC, Bluetooth, plain steering wheel and halogen clear headlights.
- VW Golf BlueMotion – This is similar to the S grade and comes with the 1.4L 110 PS TDI engine, start/stop function, battery regeneration, 15-Inch alloy rims, manual AC, Bluetooth, plain steering wheel and halogen clear headlights.
- VW Golf SE – This is a mid-luxury grade that comes with either the 1.4L TSI, the 1.6L TDI or the 2.0L TDI engine plus start/stop function, battery regeneration, 16-Inch alloy rims, automatic AC, Bluetooth, a multifunction steering wheel, xenon headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Driver Alert System and Front Assist.
- VW Golf GT – This is a sports grade that comes with either the 1.4L 140 PS TSI or the 2.0L 150 PS TDI engine, a sports suspension lowered by approx. 10mm, Alcantara seats, 17-Inch alloy rims, automatic AC, Bluetooth, a multifunction steering wheel, xenon headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Driver Alert System, Front Assist, Ambient lighting, parking sensors and adaptive fog lights.
- VW Golf GTD – This is a sports grade and the most powerful diesel variant that comes with the 2.0L 184 PS TDI engine, sports suspension, Alcantara seats, 18-Inch alloy rims, 2 Zone automatic AC, Bluetooth, a multifunction steering wheel, xenon headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Driver Alert System, Front Assist, Ambient lighting, parking sensors, adaptive fog lights, chrome twin exhaust and stainless steel pedals.
- VW Golf GTI – This is a sports grade that comes with the 2.0L 220 PS TSI engine, sports suspension, Alcantara seats, 18-Inch alloy rims, 2 Zone automatic AC, Bluetooth, a multifunction steering wheel, bi-xenon headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Driver Alert System, Front Assist, Ambient lighting, parking sensors, adaptive fog lights, chrome twin exhaust, stainless steel pedals, LED daytime running lights and GTI badging.
- VW Golf R – This is a performance sports grade that comes with the 2.0L 300 PS TSI engine, R sports suspension, 18-Inch alloy rims, 2 Zone automatic AC, Bluetooth, a multifunction steering wheel, bi-xenon headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Driver Alert System, Front Assist, Ambient lighting, parking sensors, adaptive fog lights, chrome twin exhaust, stainless steel pedals, U shaped LED daytime running lights, ‘Black’ brake calipers, rear diffuser and R badging.
2014 VW Golf Interior
Legroom & Space
The 2014 VW Golf boasts a luxurious vibe that many small cars don’t offer. The dashboard and door panels are dressed in low-gloss, high-quality materials, and the cabin exudes a more refined air than others thanks to its restrained lines and sophisticated color schemes. In the first row, there is sufficient legroom for both driver and passenger with enough space to recline as desired. In the second row, the legroom is similarly good with padded seats that are well elevated and comfortable.
Cabin StorageThere are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags, etc. In the first row, there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a cubby box, and a glovebox. In the second row, there are 2 cup-holders in the armrest compartment and storage pockets on the front seats.
Standard safety features in the 2014 VW Golf include traction and stability control, antilock disc brakes, front side airbags, and side curtain airbags.
2014 VW Golf Boot Space
The boot is sizable enough to carry luggage for a family of five. The rear seats can also fold down to create extra space when needed.
2014 VW Golf Exterior
The VW Golf has a stylish and sporty exterior. The headlights are sharp and modern with daylight running lights on the higher grades. All grades come with alloy rims ranging from 15-Inch to 18-Inch.
2014 VW Golf Fuel Tank Capacity: 50 Liters
2014 VW Golf Fuel Consumption
2014 VW Golf 1.2L TSI fuel consumption: 20.0km/litre
2014 VW Golf 1.4L TSI fuel consumption: 19.23km/litre
2014 VW Golf 2.0L TSI fuel consumption: 15.1km/litre
2014 VW Golf 1.6L TDI fuel consumption: 26.3km/liter
2014 VW Golf 2.0L TDI fuel consumption: 22.7km/liter
2014 VW Golf Ground Clearance
The VW Golf has a ground clearance of 5.4 inches(137mm) which is below the minimum recommended ground clearance of 6.5 Inches for Kenyan roads and it may not clear some speed bumps. It might be necessary to modify the ground clearance to adjust the car to Kenyan roads. Read our guidelines here on how to safely increase a vehicle’s ground clearance.
2014 VW Golf Stability and Handling
The 2014 Volkswagen Golf is the ideal around-town runabout thanks to its neat size and supple, well-controlled ride. You don’t expect a compact hatchback to command the road like this. High-speed stability is impeccable, and although tire noise is a frequent companion, it’s modest by class standards. The Golf isn’t quite as confident on curves, but if you look for it, you can find some reasonable athleticism.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil.
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are fairly priced and shared with other VWs so availability is good. Body parts on the other hand are expensive and mostly available from specialist shops in Nairobi.
Resale Value: Average
For a detailed comparison refer to the VW Golf Buyer’s Guide
What we like about the 2014 VW Golf
1. Plenty of cargo and passenger space
2. Excellent safety ratings
What we don’t
Low ground clearance
The VW Golf is a superb car that is engineered with precision and quality that translates to a performance capability that is unrivaled by its Japanese competitors. The Volkswagen Golf is a comfort to drive due to its excellent ride and handling, as well as its elegant cabin. There are many concerns in Kenya, especially with the DSG gearbox, and a lot of misguided opinions which can be confusing and disconcerting to potential buyers. Of course, the VW Golf is not your average Japanese automobile that can withstand brutal abuse and poor maintenance. It requires a high degree of care and maintenance that is not very common in Kenya. With proper maintenance, however, the VW Golf is a reliable car that can run for many years without problems.
Where to Buy the 2014 VW Golf in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the VW Golf locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and UK who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
See Also the 2016 Volkswagen Golf Review
Get More With TopCar
If you have a question about this model or any other automotive questions, you can now get answers on our forum.
If you want to sell or trade-in you vehicle, you can list it for free via our seller portal.