2016 Mazda CX-5 Review
The Mazda CX-5 has established itself as the most sought SUV thanks to its stylish look, straightforward technical package, naturally-aspirated engines, and no-nonsense interiors. The CX-5 rivals Toyota's RAV4, Nissan's X-Trail, and Honda's CR-V.
The CX-5 is available with three SkyActiv-branded engines, two petrol, and one diesel. These are a 2.5-Litre SKYACTIV-G petrol engine, a 2.2 Litre SKYACTIV-D diesel engine, and a 2.0 Litre SKYACTIV-G petrol engine. All three engines feature i-Stop, which is Mazda’s name for stop-start.
Mazda CX-5 Grades
- Mazda CX-5 20C – This is the base grade that comes with the 2.0L petrol engine, 2WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, Smart Start, i-stop, DVD/Radio player and manually operated clothe seats.
- Mazda CX-5 20S – This is mid range grade that comes with the 2.0L petrol engine, 2WD and 4WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio, steering controls and automatically operated clothe seats
- Mazda CX5 XD – This grade comes with the 2.2L diesel engine, 2WD and 4WD, 17-Inch alloy rims, smart start, i-stop, DVD/Radio player with Bose audio, steering controls and manually operated clothe seats
- Mazda CX-5 XD L Package – This is the premium grade that comes with the 2.2L diesel engine, 2WD and 4WD, 19-Inch alloy rims, smart start, i-stop, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio and electrically operated leather seats
- Mazda CX-5 25S – This grade that comes with the 2.5L petrol engine, 4WD, 18-Inch alloy rims, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio, steering controls and automatically operated clothe seats
- Mazda CX-5 25S L Package – This is the premium grade that comes with the 2.5L petrol engine, 2WD and 4WD, 19-Inch alloy rims, smart start, i-stop, DVD/Navi system with Bose audio and electrically operated leather seats
Interior Legroom & Space
The 2016 CX-5 has an attractive and functional interior with a mature design that is not covered in cheap-looking faux wood or gleaming chrome accents. Instead, materials are basic and high quality and satin-finish metallic elements are used sparingly to complement soft-touch surfaces. It has an improved infotainment system, which boasts a 7-inch screen, and an intuitive multifunction control knob, the new system is one of the better ones out there. The 2016 Mazda CX-5 has 5 seats in two rows that have decent legroom and headroom. In the first row, both seats have excellent legroom and can comfortably accommodate tall people. In the second row, the legroom is ok and feels adequate even for tall people.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. In the first row, there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a storage shelf below the dashboard, a glovebox and the center box. For the second row, there are 4 cup holders, front seat jacket pockets, and door pockets.
Standard safety features in the 2016 CX-5 include antilock brakes, stability and traction control, front side airbags and side curtain airbags, automatic crash notification feature, blind-spot, and rear cross-traffic warning systems.
The 2016 Mazda CX-5 has a boot space of 34.1 cubic feet when all seats are occupied and 64.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.
The 2016 Mazda CX-5 can be easily be recognized due to its slim headlights, big five-point grille and shapely waistline. Mazda’s highly acclaimed Kodo design language, which is used in the 2015 model, is maintained in the 2016 CX-5.
2016 Mazda CX-5 2WD 2.0 petrol engine fuel efficiency- 6.6L/100km
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD 2.5 petrol engine fuel efficiency- 9.0L/100km
2016 Mazda CX-5 2.2 diesel engine fule efficiency- 8.6L/100km.
Fuel Tank Capacity
56 Litres for 2WD and 58 Litres for 4WD
Handling and Stability
The Mazda CX-5 has an excellent balance between ride and handling. Even if you’re pressing on a little more than your passengers would like, the CX-5 never seems unwieldy or unpleasant, with a delightful, fluid manner of handling corners. The petrol engine takes slightly longer to accelerate but once it gains speed, it moves effortlessly. The diesel engine on the other hand is powerful and accelerates very fast.
2016 Mazda CX-5 Reliability
Mazda builds reliable cars and the CX-5 is no exception. The diesel engine requires extra care and it can be problematic if not properly maintained. The CX-5 requires maintenance be undertaken every 10,000km
The Mazda CX-5 is a perfect car for you if you’re after a family-friendly SUV with good looks and excellent safety features.
Also Read: 2016 Mazda Demio Review
Get More With TopCar
If you have a question about this model or any other automotive questions, you can now get answers on our forum.
If you want to sell or trade-in you vehicle, you can list it for free via our seller portal.