The VW Touareg is a five seater luxury SUV that has been in production for three generations starting from 2002 till present. It’s closely related to the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 with which it shares a platform known as the E-Platform. The first generation was in production from 2002 to 2010, the second generation from 2010 to 2018 and the third generation from 2018 to present.
2013 VW Touareg
The second generation Touareg is not much different from the first generation in terms of body size and exterior design. The only significant change on the outside is the LED headlights and taillights and a few other cosmetic changes. The engines have been upgraded and the interior has been given a subtle makeover to give it a more luxurious and modern feel.
It’s offered with 4 engine options; these are a 4.2L V8, 340 PS diesel engine, a 3.0L V6, 204 PS Clean Diesel engine, a 3.0L V6, 245 PS Clean Diesel engine and a 3.0L V6, 333 PS hybrid petrol engine. These are linked to an 8-speed Automatic Transmission and available only in 4WD.
2013 VW Touareg Grades(UK)
- VW Touareg SE – This is the entry level grade that comes with either the 3.0L V6 204 PS Diesel engine or the 3.0L V6 245 PS Diesel engine, 18-Inch alloy rims, silver roof rails, halogen reflector lens foglights, bi-Xenon high intensity headlights with Adaptive Front-Lighting Systems(AFS), LED Daytime Running Lights, Climatronic dual-zone automatic climate control, leather multi-function steering wheel, premium color multi-function instrument cluster display, four 12V power outlets, 115V power outlet, remote operated power tailgate with closing assist and comfort opening cargo cover, HomeLink, V-Tex leatherette seating surfaces, black high-gloss center console and trim surrounds, power heated front seats, heated windshield washer nozzles, Bluetooth with audio streaming, RCD-550 sound system with 6.5″ color touchscreen in center console, HD Radio SD memory card reader, AUX-in for portable audio players, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, 8 speakers, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
- VW Touareg Altitude – This comes with all the features of the SE grade plus: RNS-850 navigation system with 8″ color touchscreen in center console, rearview camera, 60GB hard drive, 3D landmarks, CD/DVD player with advanced audio converting and SiriusXM Traffic
- VW Touareg Escape – This comes with all the features of the Altitude grade plus: 19″ Everest alloy rims, panoramic power sunroof, heated power-adjustable side mirrors with memory, walnut interior trim and center console with metallic trim surrounds, Vienna leather seating surfaces, 12-way power driver’s seat with memory and power-adjustable lumbar support and electric rear seat release located in rear cargo area.
- VW Touareg Altitude V8- This comes with all the features of the Escape grade plus the 4.2L V8 Diesel engine, 20″ Pikes Peak alloy rims, heated multi-function steering wheel, heated rear seats, keyless access with push-button start, vavona wood interior trim and center console, Park Distance Control (PDC) with front and rear proximity sensors and Dynaudio premium sound system.
- VW Touareg Hybrid – This comes with all the features of the Altitude grade plus: the 3.0L 380-hp hybrid engine, 19″ Everest alloy rims, panoramic power sunroof, LED taillights, heated multi-function steering wheel, heated rear seats, heated power adjustable side mirrors with memory, power-adjusting steering column with memory, keyless access with push-button start, Park Distance Control (PDC) with front and rear proximity sensors, vavona wood interior trim and center console with metallic trim surrounds, Vienna leather seating surfaces, 12-way power front seats with driver and passenger memory and power-adjustable lumbar support, metal scuff plates on door sills and aluminum appearance pedals.
Interior & Exterior
The VW Touareg is a premium SUV and this is more so evident in the tastefully furnished and lush interior. The steering wheel is wrapped in soft leather and the driver’s seat is 8-way adjustable while the passenger seat is also electrically adjustable. The back seats are also adjustable, reclining and heated. The legroom is impressive for both rows and there’s enough room to recline and stretch.
On the outside, the 2013 VW Touareg comes with a choice of alloy rims that range from 18-Inch to 20-Inch depending on the grade. The headlights are sharp and crystal with Daytime Running Lights. Higher grades come with extra body detailing and chrome finishing. The body design and styling is more or less the same as previous versions with subtle changes in frontal and rear angles.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a glovebox and the center-box. At the second row, there are 2 cupholders in the armrest compartment, front seat jacket pockets and door pockets.
2013 Touareg Boot Space
The Boot space is big and can carry a sizable amount of luggage. The rear seats can slide forward to create space or even fold down completely in a 40/20/40 split format.
Other Extras: USB Charging Ports, Heads-up Display, Heated Seats and Panoramic Sunroof
Safety Features: Electronic Stability Contro(ESC), Antilock Braking System(ABS), Hydraulic Brake Assist(HBA), a comprehensive Airbag system, Intelligent Crash Response System(ICRS), LATCH, Traction Control, Side Scan, Dynamic Light Assist, Lane Assist,
2013 VW Touareg Fuel Consumption
2013 VW Touareg 3.0L 204 PS Diesel fuel consumption: 17.2 km/L
2013 VW Touareg 3.0L 245 PS Diesel fuel consumption: 16.7 km/L
2013 VW Touareg 4.2L 340 PS Diesel fuel consumption: 13.1 km/L
2013 VW Touareg 3.0L 333 PS Petrol Hybrid fuel consumption: 14.6 km/L
2013 VW Touareg Acceleration
2013 VW Touareg 3.0L 204 PS Diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 8.5 sec.
2013 VW Touareg 3.0L 245 PS Diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 7.6 sec.
2013 VW Touareg 4.2L 340 PS Petrol accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 5.8 sec.
2013 VW Touareg 3.0L 333 PS Petrol Hybrid accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 6.5 sec.
2013 VW Touareg Fuel Tank Capacity: 100 Litres
2013 VW Touareg Stability and Handling
The VW Toureg is a powerful car that accelerates fast and handles the road like a sports car. The automatic self-leveling and height adjustment, along with the speed related CDC (Continuous Damping Control) gives it amazing stability around corners even at high speed. The Air Suspension system enables the driver to select either Normal, Sport or Comfort drive settings, depending on the style of drive required. In the Normal mode, the suspension is adjusted for on road driving and the throttle response is dulled for fuel economy. The Comfort mode is ideal for driving on uneven road where it softens the suspension to dampen shock. The sport mode offers precise throttle response and also increases ground clearance by 300 mm when on unpaved roads.
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, and Engine Oil
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Plugs, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil
Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are available and fairly priced in Kenya. Body parts on the other hand are expensive and not as easily available.
2013 VW Touareg Reliability
The driving conditions in Kenya are significantly different from those in Japan and Europe. Reliability reviews done for those markets largely do not apply to the Kenyan market. There are differences in roads, fuel, climate, spares, and technical expertise. To give you accurate and reliable local insights, we interview experts such as mechanics and car dealers, who have in-depth knowledge of the Kenyan market. We also test the cars ourselves. Our aim is to give you the right information to enable you make an informed decision when buying a car.
German cars generally do not age well especially the newer models that come with a host of sensors that control virtually everything. These cars can be problematic with age and its advisable to buy them at very low mileage. It’s absolutely important to buy them from credible dealers that can guarantee their quality. We will give you their contacts at the end of this review.
Another factor to consider is the quality of maintenance and the service history of the car. These greatly determine the long-term reliability of the car and its important to have the car thoroughly examined by a qualified technician before you purchase it. Once this is done and you have purchased the right car, you then have to ensure that service is done on time using genuine parts. If you skimp on any of these, then be prepared for serious problems down the road.
If you are planning to own or currently own the 2013 VW Touareg, it’s vital that you read the Owner’s Manual. If you need the manual, you can request it from us via email@example.com
Resale Value: Average
2013 VW Touareg Competitors: Mercedes M-Class, BMW X5, Range Rover Sport, Volvo XC90, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh.4,000,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 120,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 80,000/- for 4 Tyres
NB: figures as at November 2019
What we like about the 2013 VW Touareg
1. Powerful Engines
2. Comfortable and Spacious Interior
3. Exceptional build quality
What we don’t
1. Expensive parts
The VW Touareg is a premium SUV that boasts for top notch safety ratings, excellent build quality and outstanding performance.
Where to Buy the 2013 VW Touareg in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the VW Touareg locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and UK who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
CALL US AT: 0720297863
EMAIL US ABOUT THIS CAR