2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review
The 4x4 landscape is changing fast and the chasm that once existed between on-road and off-road vehicles is getting narrower. The term SUV is ambiguous and does not in itself denote off-road capability but rather a body type classification. Due to this confusion, capable off-roaders such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee are grouped together in the SUV labyrinth that carries both true 4x4s and poseurs alike. The Grand Cherokee competes with the VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Range Rover Sport and Mercedes ML/GLE.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a 5-Seater SUV that has been in production for four generations starting from 1993 to present. These are generations are;
• The first Generation Known as the ZJ that was in production from 1993 to 1998,
• The second generation known as the WJ that was in production from 1999 to 2004,
• The third generation known as the WK that was in production from 2005 to 2010
• The fourth generation known as the WK that has been in production from 2011 to present.
The fourth generation Grand Cherokee was developed during the Daimler-Chrysler era and consequently it shares 30% of its components with the 3rd generation Mercedes M-Class. The Grand Cherokee became the first Jeep to be equipped with air suspension thanks to this partnership and its interior has a touch of the Mercedes quality.
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes with four engine options, these are; a 3.0-Litre diesel engine, a 3.6 V6 Pentastar petrol engine, a 5.7-Litre V8 petrol engine and a 6.4-Litre V8 petrol engine. These are linked to either a 5-Speed automatic transmission or an 8-Speed automatic transmission.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Grades
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo – This is the base grade that comes with 17-Inch steel rims, dot-type MID, projector halogen Headlights, six way adjustable driver’s seat, brown fabric seat trim and power windows with driver auto.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland – This is the base grade that comes with 17-Inch steel rims, dot-type MID, projector halogen Headlights, six way adjustable driver’s seat, brown fabric seat trim and power windows with driver auto.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited – This adds 17-Inch alloy rims, paddle shifters, Downhill Assist Control, rear parking sensors, 4.2-Inch colour MID, keyless smart entry, premium steering wheel, roof rails, fog lights, privacy glass, chrome trim, power windows all auto and meter illumination control.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit – This adds 17-Inch alloy rims, paddle shifters, Downhill Assist Control, rear parking sensors, 4.2-Inch colour MID, keyless smart entry, premium steering wheel, roof rails, fog lights, privacy glass, chrome trim, power windows all auto and meter illumination control.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT – This is the luxury grade that adds 18-Inch alloy rims, auto air conditioning, satellite navigation, 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Projector LED headlights, auto headlight levelling, LED daytime running lights, leather accented seat and door trim and woodgrain finish.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior
The Grand Cherokee’s connection with the Mercedes M-Class is more evident in the interior that is finished with precision and feels as premium. The dashboard is neat and functional with a large touchscreen console in the middle that serves as an infotainment center.
The legroom is decent on both the first and second rows and tall people will find it comfortable. The lower grades come with clothe upholstery while higher grades come with leather seats and many other extras.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Exterior
The exterior is perfectly crafted and it exudes a masculine tone but not overly so. At the front, the headlights are sharp and modern with daytime running lights on all grades. It gets angular towards the rear finished off by a large tailgate and dual exhausts.
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, there are 2 cup-holders on the armrest compartment, front seat pockets and door pockets.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Safety Features: SRS Airbags, ABS with EBD, Electronic Stability Control, Adaptive Cruiser Control, Trailer Sway Control, Electronic Roll Mitigation, SELEC-SPEED Control, Blind Spot Monitoring
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Fuel Consumption
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesel fuel consumption: 13.33 Km/L
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L petrol fuel consumption: 7.35 Km/L
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Acceleration
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 8.2 sec.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L diesel accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 5.0 sec.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Fuel Tank Capacity: 93.5 Litres
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Performance and Handling
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a swift car that moves effortlessly. Even the entry level 3.0L diesel accelerates fast and the power delivery is consistent across the speed band. The air suspension gives it unparalleled stability and it’s capable of negotiating sharp corners at speeds where most SUVs will topple over.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Service Intervals
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter and Engine Oil, etc.
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Front Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil, etc.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are fairly and available in Nairobi. Body parts are expensive and available from specialist dealerships in Nairobi. Find a list of Jeep spare part dealers in this link.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reliability
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a complex SUV that can develop many problems if not well maintained. The air suspension in particular can be problematic and expensive to repair if it fails. However, we proper maintenance, the Grand Cherokee is less prone to problems that most of its German rivals.
If you are planning to own the Jeep Grand Cherokee, it’s vital that you read the Owner’s Manual . To request the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner’s manual, write to us: [email protected]
Resale Value: Good
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh 4,500,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 120,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 60,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest Jeep Grand Cherokee Prices Here
What we like about the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2. Good Performance
3. Quality finish
What we don’t
The Jeep Grand Cherokee offers an excellent alternative to the German SUVs and it’s a cut above them in terms of off-road capability. If you’re looking for a comfortable and laid back family SUV, then the Grand Cherokee should definitely be high on your list. Fuel consumption is above average but this the price you pay for performance.
Where to Buy the Jeep Grand Cherokee in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Grand Cherokee locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Get More With TopCar
If you have a question about this model or any other automotive questions, you can now get answers on our forum.
If you want to sell or trade-in you vehicle, you can list it for free via our seller portal.