The Toyota Fortuner is a 7-Seater SUV that has been in production for two generations starting from 2005 to present. It’s built on the same platform as the Toyota Hilux and they differ mainly in interior styling and body type. The first generation (Type AN50/AN60) was in production from 2004 to 2015 and the second generation (Type AN150/AN160) has been in production from 2015 to present.
The Toyota Fortuner is not sold in the Japanese domestic market and consequently second-hand imports are mainly sourced from Australia, South Africa and Thailand.
The 2016 Toyota Fortuner comes with a 2.8-Litre 1GD-FTV turbo diesel engine that is linked to either a 6-Speed manual transmission or a 6-Speed Automatic Transmission.
2016 Toyota Fortuner Grades
- Toyota Fortuner GX – This is the base grade that comes with 17-Inch steel rims, dot-type MID, projector halogen Headlights, six way adjustable driver’s seat, brown fabric seat trim and power windows with driver auto.
- Toyota Fortuner GXL – This adds 17-Inch alloy rims, paddle shifters, Downhill Assist Control, rear parking sensors, 4.2-Inch colour MID, keyless smart entry, premium steering wheel, roof rails, fog lights, privacy glass, chrome trim, power windows all auto and meter illumination control.
- Toyota Fortuner Crusade – This is the luxury grade that adds 18-Inch alloy rims, auto air conditioning, satellite navigation, 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Projector LED headlights, auto headlight levelling, LED daytime running lights, leather accented seats and woodgrain finish.
2016 Toyota Fortuner Interior
Legroom & Space
The cabin is spacious and comfortable with a similar feel and layout as the Toyota Prado. The legroom is excellent on both the first and second rows and tall people will find it comfortable. The third row seats are tolerable at short distances but uncomfortable for long distance especially for tall people due to the low elevation that makes people seat with a slouch.
2016 Toyota Fortuner Exterior
On the outside, the new Toyota Fortuner looks sleek and aerodynamic with a sharp front and an angular exterior. Higher grades come with fog lights and alloy rimsCabin Storage
There are several storage compartments in the cabin that are useful for storing items such as smartphones, beverages, goggles, handbags etc. At the first row there are 4 cup-holders, door panel storage, a glovebox and the center-box. For the second row, there are 4 cup-holders in the armrest compartment and door panels. For the third row, there are two cupholders.
Extras – ECO Mode, Power Mode, USB Ports
2016 Toyota Fortuner Safety Features: SRS Airbags( Driver Knee airbag, side airbags, curtain airbags) ABS with EBD, 3-Point ELR seatbelts, Brake Assist
2016 Toyota Fortuner Fuel Consumption
2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8L fuel consumption: 12.5 km/L
2016 Toyota Fortuner Acceleration
2016 Toyota Fortuner accelerates from 0-100 km/h in 12.0 sec.
2016 Toyota Fortuner Fuel Tank Capacity: 80 Litres
2016 Toyota Fortuner Performance and Handling
The Toyota Fortuner is a big car that moves swiftly and is responsive and fun to drive. The 2.8-Litre turbocharged diesel engine is well powered and it provides plenty of low-end torque that is ideal for off-road driving. Due to its tall height, the Fortuner leans a bit too much into corners and its advisable to drive cautiously around corners.
2016 Toyota Fortuner Service Intervals
Minor Service: At 5,000 km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter and Engine Oil, etc.
Major Service: At 10,000km. Requires Air Cleaner, Oil Filter, Diesel Filter, ATF Filter, Cabin Filter, Front Brake Pads, ATF Oil, and Engine Oil, etc.
Toyota Fortuner Spare Parts Availability, Cost & Where to buy
Service parts are affordable and widely available in Kenya. Body parts are expensive and available from major Toyota dealerships in Kenya. For a list of Toyota spare part dealers, follow this link..
2016 Toyota Fortuner Reliability
Below are the commonly reported problems with the Toyota Fortuner
- Turbo failure
- Injector problems
- Common Rail system failure
- Engine rattling
- Engine Failure
- Common rail engines are extremely intolerant to adulterated fuel which is a known killer for these engines.
- Due to the high pressures and extreme heat generated by the common rail engines, good and timely maintenance is key to keep the components such as the turbo and injectors working properly. Poor maintenance is a certified killer for common rail engines
- Low sulphur fuel is good for the environment but bad for common rail engines. Low sulphur fuel has less lubrication which is bad for the high thermal conditions and these will wear off the engines more quickly.
- Adulterated and dirty fuel – Common rail systems require clean fuel and they have a very low tolerance for contaminated fuel.
If you are planning to own the Toyota Fortuner, it’s vital that you read the Owner’s Manual . To request the 2016 Toyota Fortuner English Owner’s manual, write to us: [email protected]
Resale Value: Good
Toyota Fortuner Competitors: Toyota Prado, Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Everest
Cost of Ownership
Purchase Price: from Ksh 5,000,000
Comprehensive Insurance: Average Ksh. 200,000/ per annum- Or
3rd Party Insurance: Ksh. 7,000/- per annum
Change of Tyres(If neccessary) Ksh. 60,000/- for 4 Tyres
See Latest Toyota Fortuner Prices in Kenya
What we like about the 2016 Toyota Fortuner
- Spacious Interior
- Excellent Performance
- Attractive design
What we don’t
Sensitive diesel engine
The Toyota Fortuner is an excellent family car that offers the same level of comfort and performance as the Toyota Prado albeit at a lower price point. It’s best suited for people that value space and off-road capability.
Where to Buy the Toyota Fortuner in Kenya
If you are looking to either import or buy the Toyota Fortuner locally, we can help you with this process. Over the years, we have developed a network of trusted dealers both in Kenya and Japan who supply us with exceptional cars. Simply call us or send us a message through our contacts below and we’ll get you the right car at the right price.
Related Cars for Sale on Topcar
Trade in or Sell Your Car
If you currently own a car that you want to sell or trade-in, we can help you to;
1. Sell it quickly and conveniently to thousands of buyers on our website.
2. Trade-it in for a new one. We work with trusted dealers and you get the car of your choice.
3. Get financing and hire purchase terms on the car you choose.
Simply list your car on our website through this link and let us do the rest. You get these services for only Ksh. 500.
Contact Us To Import This Car
Send Us an Email